DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryin to replace the front 6x9's and I'm having trouble finding speakers that will fit. Amazon says a speaker will fit while Crutchfield doesn't. Also Amazon has a ton of 6x9 that they say will fit while Crutchfield might have four. I'm assuming the problem is the depth of the speaker but i don't know for sure. I read somewhere that the max depth for the front is 2-3/4 but most of the speakers I look at are deeper than that. Also do i really need 6x9 or would 6-1/2 be sufficient? I'm tryin to get by without having a sub and i heard 6x9 will give more bass than 6-1/2. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll try my hand at this, but depending on your actual need, 6.5" should do the trick for you. Yes 6x9 will provide more bass because the speaker has more surface area, but it is not going to be a HUGE difference, the biggest thing you want to make sure is that you go with a quality speaker. I would say is you are just looking to swap out the speakers for something better than stock, go with 6.5, strictly on that there is going to be a bigger selection for you that is direct fit.

Now as far as why only a few are showing up that fit? It is because of how the back of the speaker is built, as in design of the housing and yes also the mounting depth. I went to a shop and he told me he could get Alpine 6x9 in the front doors (crutchfield said they don't fit). If you take it to a shop they might be able to lend a hand about what they can wire up for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts