DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new to forum so thanks in advance. I have the above described vehicle and have the following codes.

P052 this code is instantaneously on when the vehicle starts.

If I clear the code and drive the vehicle on the freeway when I hit wide open throttle it shifts fine until about 70mph. The vehicle starts check engine flashing and will rev to about 5000-7000 rpm at 70mph and will not shot or accelerate more, just throw a p0300 code. If I ease off the accelerator the vehicle will shift. And drive ok.

No abnormal idle.
I changed plugs with champions gap at .04.
Checked all injectors for abnorml resistance.
Checked all coils for abnormal resistance.

Could o2 sensor cause this kind of issue or is it something completely different?

Thanks in advance.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I presume you mean a P0052 which is a O2 sensor heater problem. This is most likely a bad sensor heater and will not cause the problem you describe. If you have a flashing MIL, you should have some misfire codes stored in the PCM. Knowing all the codes you have is necessary to diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so an update to everyone who is interested in helping.

So i had p0300 and the o2 sensor code, replaced o2 sensor from the oreilly auto parts, direct fit. O2 sensor code no longer comes up! Thank god! Now could the o2 sensor be the reason I'm getting a p0300 code at 70mph? I hope so because than the fix would be done right!? Right!

So as soon as I take the vehicle out on a test drive I still get the p0300 and flashing engine light at around 70mph, i believe the vehicle is trying to shift from 3rd gear to 4th? Is this a 5 speed auto tranny?

Also my p052 is complete gone due to the new o2 sensor.

So now I get 2 codes pending again. I get a new code P0440 Emission control system malfunction and the p0300. I check the gas cap, it was half broken, so i purchased a new one from oreilly again.

Reset fault codes and drive again. Now i'm getting p0507- Idle air control system RPM higher than expected.

Now the P0440 is gone, but now i have a P0507, and of course the P0300.

I've included a video of the throttle lockup that i'm experiencing. Maybe a good dodge tech can help me figure this out! my hands are tied again.

Thanks,
JS

YOU TUBE LINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9UmxgtkLUI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update, found a vacuum leak from when i was fixing something, reattached no more p0507 high idle, no codes, was able to smog, however still mysterious p0300 at wot near 75 mph...

anyone?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's what I suggest as read in another forum.........So with engine still running went down the line and started disconnecting each ignition coil wire and replacing it back on. if it ran worse after disconnection the wire i would know that the coil is working.... so when i got to the #3 coil and disconnected it there was "NO" change in the idle and there for i new it wasn't firing ... I didn't want to get to excited because i had 3 more to check, so i continued on, all showed signs that they were firing YAY!!! Recap: the only one that didn't make a difference in the idling of the car was the # 3 cylinder. by swapping the coils you can do the process of elimination and not even need a code reader. Aldo you can rule out whether it is fuel related or wire related. long shot but its the cheapest process of elimination. in the end i bought a $62 lifetime warranty ignition coil for the TB and 140k miles she has new plugs and runs smoother than ever.
P.S. I cleaned the carburetor prior to doing all of this as i had changed the batter literally the day this all happened, (cause i thought it was a bad battery, i think the coil was shorting out and drained the battery) I thought it was having trouble resetting the air flow sensor and i read when the computer resets (battery disconnect) that any carbon build up in the throttle body can cause it to not idle correctly. so do this before any repair in this order: Prayer 1st, Process of elimination 2nd, persistence, patience & politeness.

Did you have this problem prior to changing plugs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.