DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4. Pretty sure my trans or torque converter went out on me but I can't decide where to go from here. I was driving home today and went wot from a stop sign. When it went to shift I felt a clunk and then I had nothing. Pulled off the road and it makes a whining noise in every gear including park but its louder in drive or reverse and gets louder with more rpm. It won't pull at all in any gear. Fluid looks normal, I dropped the pan and serviced it about 6k miles ago. Does it sound like a transmission issue or a bad torque converter? I'm no transmission expert but it sounds like a bad pump or converter to me but I'd rather have a better idea of what failed before I take it to a shop. Thanks in advance, I'm right under 230k and hope to get some more life out of my old truck.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Do you have any kind of scan tool that will read the turbine (trans input) and output speeds? Do you have any fault codes?

Could be a trans failure, but could also be a transfer case failure (or T/case stuck in Neutral) or a rear axle failure. Reading the input and output speeds would tell you for sure whether the failure is within (or before, or after) the trans.

I would also try it in 4x4 mode, since if the rear axle is failed then 4x4 Lock mode would still pull the truck. Or you can just look to see if the rear prop is spinning when it's in gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have a scan tool but I'm pretty sure it isn't in the transfer case. It still shifts into 4 high, neutral, and 4 low. The truck just doesn't pull. I got under it today and the noise is coming from right where the torque converter sits. You can hear it wind down when the truck is shut off. The driveshaft doesn't turn unless the truck is pushed so it isn't in the rear end.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Don't have a scan tool but I'm pretty sure it isn't in the transfer case. It still shifts into 4 high, neutral, and 4 low. The truck just doesn't pull. I got under it today and the noise is coming from right where the torque converter sits. You can hear it wind down when the truck is shut off. The driveshaft doesn't turn unless the truck is pushed so it isn't in the rear end.
I should have asked also if it holds Park OK (which I presume it does). That would also indicate the rear axle and transfer case are OK.

So you likely have either a hard part failure (broken input shaft, stripped input clutch retainer spline, stripped turbine hub spline in the converter, etc.) or you have a line pressure failure. I would recommend you have someone read the fault codes and/or read the line pressure and the turbine speed with a scan tool before yanking the trans out. It would be a real bummer to pull the trans and then discover the problem is simply a loose filter (which could give you no line pressure and therefore no drive in any gear).

If you do check the line pressure, note that the min sensor reading is 30 psi, so a "flatline" reading of 30 psi probably means zero actual pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts