DODGE RAM FORUM banner

05 5.7 1500 Rear End noise?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
I have a strange noise coming from my rear end.

Incident #1: 7am on a cold morning... threw it in reverse to turn around in the drive way, made a whine as I backed up... chalked it up as the diff being probably almost frozen..(damn new england winters...)

Incident #2: 7am on a not so cold morning... threw it in reverse to turn around in the drive way... made the same whine... threw it in drive, no whine.... got to work (15 miles away) threw it in reverse to back into my spot... no whine...

Incident #3: 7am on a warm (45 ish) morning (again... im in new england..) threw it in reverse... no whine....

Should I be alarmed or just chalk it up as the rear diff being cold? Maybe I should do a diff fluid change this spring? Any ideas??

#2 ·
I would say to do a change your diff fluid ASAP. I had the same problem and it turned out to be one of my C clips. Had to replace the rear end carrier. Hopefully you'll stop it in time, if this is the same issue, before having to drop some large bills for a fix.

#3 ·
I will make a point of trying to change the fluid this weekend... If that doesn't fix it I fear that my options are limited to replacing the rear end... and from what I have read, that looks like I am best off staying away from stealerships and not replacing it with the exact same ticking time bomb.... I guess I should be looking for a differential shop near Raynham, MA.... anyone help a brother out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.