DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. And I've had a hell of a time trying to figure this out.

I have a 2006 1500 Sport with a 5.7 Hemi and I can't get it to even offer up anything unless I have someone turning the key while I bang on the a/c compressor.

I've paid through the nose already to have my SKIM key reprogrammed and the remote starting system checked out. Everything's good there. (however this might have been a waste now that I've discovered this)

I don't have to hit it too hard, I just have to keep hitting it until the engine turns over.

Is there anything around the compressor that I could be jarring enough to get it to start? IE: sensor or relay?

I'm good with electronics and computers, but I really miss my 2nd gen right about now!

Any guesses??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you put me on the right track - I cleaned up 2 of the grounding sites under the hood and it'll start with the key - remote start just put me back to square one. (if I start it with the remote, it wont start with the key and I have to disconnect the battery and touch the wires together to reset everything and, once again, it will start with the key.)

I'm letting it sit for a while and I'll try the key again. If it fires up, I'll consider this issue closed.

thanks for the suggestion and I'll post my final result later tonight.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is the compressor clutch frozen preventing the motor from turning over?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The compressor spins freely when ac is on, and ac works well.

I'll be adding another ground wire as soon as I find the time to. After cleaning the ground connections I'm getting an offer from the engine before it goes no start and then I have to hit the compressor to get it going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
Ran a new ground wire from the negative post to a grounding point behind the power steering reservoir. Still no ignition unless I tap the compressor, BUT, the starter now tries to turn the engine where it didn't before and it's not sounding the greatest (will grind every start before ignition.

Also, after starting by tapping the compressor, I can shut the engine off and turn it on again without much trouble (aside from the starter whining before ignition) AND the battery gauge rises SLIGHTLY when I push the gas and drops when I release. Battery gauge is JUST above half when the engine is on.

Could a bad ground be causing my starter/ignition issue or is the starter dying and that's been the reason for everything?

I'm totally lost here. If i had any hair left I'd be tearing it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts