DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 5.7 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab 4X4 Just under 100K

About 1 month ago i started the truck (no starting issues) and noticed my radio clock had reset, and the radio was at the very bottom of the AM frequency. All my presets were still progammed.

About 3 weeks later i went to start truck and the tach seemed stuck and the truck wouldn't start. turned key off and tried again...no issues to start, ran a wee bit rough but no engine light and it smoothed out very quickly. With this the radio had repeated the same issue from above. also the overhead console reset "only" the fuel consumption (L/100km) and was stuck at 16.0 for ...30 mins? until I manually reset it. although i was enjoying the thought of 16L/100km, lol

Now this brings us today. I started the truck this afternoon to move it and it started fine but the radio was clipping out (did this twice during the move) the odometer screen was ever so slightly flickering and the battery guage was at about 3/4 (this seems high?) as i was leaving the truck i went to lock it with the key fob.....nothing tried to lock with the power lock switch....nothing, put key in ignition and turned on....nothing.

I have not had time to check anything, I will be back at the truck this evening. my guess is it will start and run. but this seems to be an escalating issue and would like to address it.

Notes: the truck has factory remote start, PL,PW,power rear window, A/C, manual seats, NO nav.

thanks in advance for your help.
Derek

·
Registered
107 Posts
could be your cluster going bad i have read on here your cluster controls the key FOB and no starting issues can also be related to a bad cluster. try putting the cluster through an actuator test by holding the trip/reset button and turning the key on. gauges will turn on and be calibrated. i myself have a bad tachometer and need to replace the cluster fortunately thats the only issue. can try the key trick to bring up codes as well cycle the key on and off 3 times to bring codes up. if you struggle to get either tests to work youtube them for "how-to's"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you find anything out on this? My radio reset itself too. Also my engine light is on with the small leak or gascap code po456. I did have to take my gascap off and put it back on becuase my mileage ticker said "gascap" . Also, how do i reset the check engine light?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I was thinking this could be a cluster issue as well. Of course, there are also a lot of other components that attach to the cluster that it could be.

Bennett15...the tach issue is notorious in the 2006 models. I intend to pull mine and take it to a local electronics repair shop some time in the next few weeks. I feel certain they can fix it. I'll be sure to post a thread when I do either way.

jjz28...to my knowledge there is no way to reset the CEL without a scan tool. I know there are a couple of self diagnostics you can make your truck do like Bennett15 said but I don't think there is any way to clear codes. Most local parts places have scan tools and will read/clear codes for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about a month ago i noticed the ground on the batt was loose enough to spin, wouldnt come off unless i really tried. anyway i tightened that and haven't had an issue since. just goes to show you how such a simple thing can mess with your head for weeks.

Remember folks.....always check your battery connections FIRST!!
lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts