DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 07 ram is smoking when I start it after it's been stitting for a couple of days. And It has been using oil 2-3 qts. over 5K miles (use 5-20 syn.) BUT this last oil change was 5K miles and it used 5 qts.
I called a dealer to see what valve seals would cost , he said $750. but said I could have a sticky valve and try putting trans oil in the motor oil and fuel injector cleaner in the fuel. Well I put Mystery oil in the oil (7 oz.) and FI cleaner in the gas.
With 33 k miles it seems odd that i'm having these problems.
Does anybody have any advice.. Thanks in advance :doh:

·
Registered
209 Posts
WOOOOAH!!! Valve seals should be nowhere near $750. Remember, the HEMI is still a pushrod engine, therefore you only have 2 valves per cylinder. I bought all 16 for my z28 for a dollar each. And they were from a performance company too. You can buy them at a local auto store for under 30 bucks.
But anyway, i really cant see how a valve seal would make it smoke. Does the car overheat at all? Give me a little more info though, what color is the smoke (black, blue, white), and does it smoke at idle, or when you rev it?

If you want, you can open the valve cover on your truck, and check them out for yourself. Let me know if you still need help with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the truck sits for a few days , when I start it I see a light blue smoke but I won't see it again unless I let the truck sit. Either way it is not leaking oil, it's not going in the coolant, so I have to be burning it. I don't see it on my rear mirror when I floor the gas..
I was using castrol syntec 5-20 and I just switched to mobil 1 5-30. I also was letting the oil change go to 6K miles. I'm going to check oil every 1000 miles and see if it's using as much with the heavier oil and I will change more often.
I only started to see the blue smoke at start ups recently as I now have a 2nd car and the truck sits for days at a time and the oil was up to 5-6 K miles on it..
Where do you think the oil at start up is coming from ?? I'm not a car/truck wrench so I would have to have a shop do the valve seals if that's what it needs.
I'm hoping that it's just to thin a oil (5-20) to long in the motor, or sticky valve that the mystery oil might help...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dont worry it doesnt seem so bad. Whats happening, is the oil goes around the valve seals and settle in the cylinders while the car is off. When you start her up, it burns everything inside the cylinder including the small amounts of oil that have been there. This is whats causing the blue smoke at startup. You can try switching back to a thicker oil, but thats just putting a band aid over the real problem if anything.

If youre gonna take it to a shop, you should really find a MUCH cheaper place. If i were near by id offer to help out. Its really not that difficult, just a valve cover removal. At least dont let them charge you too much on the valve seals themselfs. You should be able to find them easily for under 50 bucks. Id say around $30. PM me if you want some links on where to get em :smileup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Also, if its not too late ask them what number cylinder(s) has/have the bad valve seal. It might help out if you take it somewhere else because they wont be guessing to see which bank they have to work with. Also you should be able to buy only the correct amount of valve seals and not all sixteen. Save a couple more bucks lol unless you want them to replace them all while theyre at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're gonna replace valve seals, DON'T try to save a couple buck by not replacing them all. If any are worn, they're all worn. Only replacing a few will just have you pulling the valve covers again soon to do the rest.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lets say if cylinder #3 had a bad seal, how would this affect bank 2 of the engine? I completely agree and would suggest to change em all out, but dont know how 1 seal can affect the rest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lets say if cylinder #3 had a bad seal, how would this affect bank 2 of the engine? I completely agree and would suggest to change em all out, but dont know how 1 seal can affect the rest.
One seal WON'T affect the rest; that's not what I said, nor meant. my point that was since they all wear at virtually the same rate, it doesn't make sense to not replace them all just to save a couple bucks now. It's cheaper to pay to pay someone to do it once and be done with it, than to pay to have it done twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I changed to mobil 1 5-30 syn. and it doesnt blow blue smoke at start up even after sitting a few days. I'm not sure if 5-30 will fix the problem but I will keep a close eye on oil level, I'm thinking maybe the castrol 5-20 didn't burn till it got a lot of miles on it ???? But 5-30 itn't smoking while it's new anyway. The jury is still out.
Thanks for all replies and if I do the valve seals I won't bring it to the dealers $750 price tag.. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts