DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive been reading alot of diff things with the leveling kits i bought a 2.5" leveling kit from topguncostumz i havnt nstalled it yet bc people are saying not to go any bigger thn 2inch kit bc of death wobble..
is this true ?
or will the 2.5inch kit be ok this
is a brand new truck and i dont wanna put somthn on thier thats gonna brake it let me know what yall think id like toknow b4 i put this bad boy on my truck so let me know yae or nae with the 2.5inch leveling kit?.. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
522 Posts
That is why I went with the 2" Kit from Hell-Bent Steel...... Just enough height and helps keep the angles in a halfway decent spot....... 2.5" on a new truck will raise the front end a little to much and if you have a slight vibration while in 4HI I would not even worry with a level kit. You will just make the vibration worse. I just installed a 2" level kit on mine and I checked to insure that I had no vibration before I bought my kit....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:sad:eek:k well i already bought the 2.5" leveling kit should i put it on and see what its like or say screw it and put the 2'' kit on? id rather just put the 2.5 on since i already bought it and see how it rides..

·
Registered
522 Posts
sad:eek:k well i already bought the 2.5" leveling kit should i put it on and see what its like or say screw it and put the 2'' kit on? id rather just put the 2.5 on since i already bought it and see how it rides..[/QUOTE]

:4-looney:....If you have never installed one of these kits before you will be kicking yourself in the :shy2: after you realize that you went to far. I would Ebay that kit and get a 2"..... Do you have any vibrations stock????? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i have no vibrations stock.. im gonna have some one profesinally put it on im not doing it bc its a brandnew truck and i want some one that knows what thier doing putting it on..u really think its that bad of an idea to put it on?..

·
Registered
522 Posts
no i have no vibrations stock.. im gonna have some one profesinally put it on im not doing it bc its a brandnew truck and i want some one that knows what thier doing putting it on..u really think its that bad of an idea to put it on?..

Not really...just wanted to make sure that you have checked to see if there were any vibrations before. Paying a shop to do it is a wise choice......But if you have to have it removed you will have to pay for that also....I took that into consideration when installing mine and I figured that if I installed it and something was wrong I would then have the understanding of how she went in and would be able to get her out easy....... Good Luck and I hope to see pictures soon :smileup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
You won't have any problems. Installing it is not hard takes a couple of hours the first time you do it. If you have vibrations on a new truck take it back there is something wrong with it. Vibrations in a driveshaft are generally from the driveshaft not being balanced. Get the dealership to replace it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The vibrations that most people are talking about are from the front differential shafts. From the factory there have been a couple unlucky people that have a slight vibration when stock and in 4HI.

You have stated that you have none so good luck and I hope everything works out. If you do do it yourself here is a tip.....

DO NOT try to remove the steering linkage fromt the knuckle.....drop the lower control arms (after marking the cam positions first). This is how I did it which made it allot easier to get the struts out and back in. Make sure you have some help so that someone can hold the hub assembly while you are installing the spacer on top of the strut and while re-installing the strut.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish i could have trust like that in a "shop" again. i've heard of so many and have had a couple of horror stories about how a shop installed a part half azz and now have all kind of problems about fixing it or owning up to it.

It's alot diffrent here living on maui because we dont have much compitition of shops. there are a couple on the island and thats all your stuck with. its not like they have to be worried about bad rep cuz noobies will always bring their turcks in because of the nice ad's they have in the papers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
anyways dude check out my ride, this is a 2.5" kit (as you can see via my sig) and so far i havent had much problems with death wobble. of course individual results may vary! lol j/k yea some say yea some say no, i got a 2.5 so does 08hemi and we both installed ourselves. if your not a complete noob to automotive mechanics you'll be fine on the install. just take your time, infact if your not a complete noob at taking apart anything you'll be fine. as long as you lock tite your bolts and got the right torque settings your good. and like boost said have a friend there to help, he'll help you catch something if its wrong... and to help get that damn strut back in place since its 2.5 inches longer now!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sweet ya i like how bothe your trucks sit im gonna put it on the only thing is if i put it on now i wont have money for tires and rims for a wile , works slow right now so if i installed it now would it still look alright with stock tires and rims?.. if so then il do it and just wait till i can afford the rims and tires.. i wanna get 20'' rockstars and what size tire do u recomend i sorda want 35s or 34s and i want a good AT tire that looks agresive like the terra grappler or the AT tire toyo makes.. or the procomp extreme alteranes.. what do yall think looks best on these dodges ?..

·
Registered
87 Posts
LOL! you might as well put the kit on! i mean you bought it before even getting your question answered so just slap um on... and if you dont like it it'll give you more incentive to save money for the wheels and tires (cut backs on going out for drinks with the boys).

Good luck!

·
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Cl
2,169 Posts
what's all needed?

The vibrations that most people are talking about are from the front differential shafts. From the factory there have been a couple unlucky people that have a slight vibration when stock and in 4HI.

You have stated that you have none so good luck and I hope everything works out. If you do do it yourself here is a tip.....

DO NOT try to remove the steering linkage fromt the knuckle.....drop the lower control arms (after marking the cam positions first). This is how I did it which made it allot easier to get the struts out and back in. Make sure you have some help so that someone can hold the hub assembly while you are installing the spacer on top of the strut and while re-installing the strut.....
I'm confused a little here...are struts in a 1500 or a 2500 +? What all has to be done in a 1500 with control arms? Do you need to go with longer control arms for a 2" lift?

sorry if they're dumb questions, but i guess i'm dumb! haha

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
I put a 2" daystar leveling kit on my 01 ram 4x4 then put 35's on it and have experienced the death wobble . Trying to pindown what my next step should be and with what company.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the kits are designed to not mess with factory suspension. if your having problems with the lift.. its your truck. not the lift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
on the 94-01 rams yes there is such thing as a death wobble. you just need extended shocks. but 02-08 there should be NO PROBLEM with shocks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was thinking of giving my 2010 1500 Crew Cab Sport the 2.5 inch leveling Kit. What is the death wobble? Any advice either in regards to the kit!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts