DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm torn. I'm in need of some opinions and advice. I currently own an 09 1500 QC SLT 4x4 with the 4.7 with 27,000 miles on it. The truck has grown on me over the past 2 years and I'm not sure if I want to get rid of it or not.

I have a buddy who is selling his 99 2500 (97 Sport ext cab body swap) 4x4 with the diesel and about 180,000 miles on it and a 5 speed manual tranny for $7500.

I do not tow anything as of now but love the idea of the extra power and putting $$$ back in the bank.

What would you do?

Ben

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
wow very opposite trucks lol.

I personally would keep the gasser, I love diesel but they are more $$$ and maintenance to keep running, and what's the point if you're not even going to use all that torque.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
wow very opposite trucks lol.

I personally would keep the gasser, I love diesel but they are more $$$ and maintenance to keep running, and what's the point if you're not even going to use all that torque.
exactly what I was thinking, if you arent going to tow or use the diesel for what its for its not worth having IMO, ya it gets better fuel economy ( a bit better) but deisel costs more (atleast here it does) the maintainence is alot more especially on an older one. 180,000 miles is nothing for a diesel but for front end parts it is,

good luck with your decision

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I just bought a diesel, after having gassers before. I was stepping up a couple of years to a newer truck and going from a regular cab to a quad cab. I don't really need a diesel, although I do tow and haul a heavy load on occasion. Don't let the need vs want thing hold you back.

All of that said, I'd keep your current truck. Its going to be tough to go to that much of an older truck. Your current truck is going to be a much nicer daily driver.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
It's a tough call for me. I loved the body style and the 5.9L is a bulletproof engine, the transmission that it's attached to, not so much. You put some TLC into that diesel and it'll outlast any gas motor, but you do have to drive them hard to get them to last, kind of back-asswards I know.

Honestly, if you're not gonna tow or mod it, then go with the 4.7L, you'll have a warranty, and it's a newer and much better riding vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I wouldn't be towing much so I wouldn't be driving it hard. My buddy has the usual upgrades for perfomance, he says it's sitting around 450hp and 650 lbs-torque. I do like the idea of having extreme power but this will just lead me into getting in trouble. Plus I could put over $10k in my pocket if I sold the 09.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts