DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK here is my install.. Lots of pics of the whole project, start to well, where I stopped :i_rolleyes:.. I've got to get back on it soon to finish up..

Here is the start of the sub box.. Fiberglass and MDF construction..
Masking..

MDF top Form

MDF Form for top, and Foil to for molding the fiberglass..

First Layer of glass..

Completed fiberglass..

Adding some thickness to the top..

Top plate added.. I'll explain the shallow sub openings later..

Boston G5 10" sub..

Here is the shallow explanation... Boston GTR 10" Radiators...

Subs and radiators... I couldn't quite get a perfect mounting pattern, as there just wasn't enough depth to work with..

Sub protection from the seat bottom..

Amps on the backwall..

Boston SC695's in the rear doors

Boston Pro 60's in the front doors,, SPZ60's going in soon!

More to come.. I'll get pics of the covered box and the full amps. I also need to get HU pics and the MS-8 pics..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First time seeing 4 10's under the seat.
Technically it's just 2 10's... the pair in the middle are passive radiators that allow the subs to play as thought they are in a ported enclosure. Having built and tuned many ported enclosures, this was my first one with radiators. Boston has done a hell of a job designing these subs and radiators, cause you would think these are definitely ported! Not sure how loud it gets, but the subs will outplay the highs no problem!
Just for kicks here is a pic of the box I'm building for my Vette using SPG-555 and a GTR radiator from Boston..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looks amazing.. first time I have ever heard of the passive radiator thing. So to get this straight, only 2 of the subs are powered and the others are responding to the air pressure caused by the powered subs?

Also your fiberglass skills are outstanding.. I am very tempted to make a box for myself. Any tips?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks amazing.. first time I have ever heard of the passive radiator thing. So to get this straight, only 2 of the subs are powered and the others are responding to the air pressure caused by the powered subs?

Also your fiberglass skills are outstanding.. I am very tempted to make a box for myself. Any tips?
Yup! that's pretty much it. The concept is basically the same as a ported enclosure, but instead of a column of air (that's whats in the port) its the weight of the "drone" or radiator. You can adjust the amount weight which changes the tuning frequency. Of course, it's definitely best to buy a woofer and a radiator that are pre-matched because there is a lot of math involved to figure out how to match a custom set up. There are some good software brands out there to help with that.
As for the fiberglass... It's really not hard to do at all, I would use plain resin like you get at Lowes, Autozone, etc. as it is relatively inexpensive and plenty good for a sub box. I used epoxy resin on the Dodge box just to try it, but it's expensive and gets really hot as it cures. I use masking tape on the vehicle as a base for the mold, then I cover that in foil to keep fiberglass from sticking . If the foil wants to move use something like Vaseline to hold it still. I have used plastic wrap like Reynolds Wrap in place of foil. It works too, just not as durable. Once the two layers are in place, you just start laying in the glass. I like to cut smaller pieces to work with, and I also prefer cloth over mat. Mat will build thickness quicker, but it tends to shed fibers very easy. Don't mix up more than a half pint or so of resin as you will really have to be fast to get it all down before it starts to jell. Here is a link to the Corvette box build on Corvetteforum..http://forums.corvetteforum.com/aud...t-bored-decided-i-needed-a-bigger-system.html

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have never heard of the radiator theory either. Weird. I would have to power all 4 and see what it would do lol. My brain is not large enough to figure out everything that your working on but in sure that you know what your doing. Nice equipment and I would like to hear a set up like that in person.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice build so far, I will follow it. thanks for sharing pics!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all I got to give it to you your box looks great I have a 09 ram like your and I want to install two 10" Eclipse sub (model #SW6103DVC)on the passanger side under the back seat. What I want to know if I will or if I do have enough air space to install both sub on the passenger side the subs call for .99 cubit feet on a seal box. I have never made a fiber glass box before but im will to give it a shot. thanks for the help

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all I got to give it to you your box looks great I have a 09 ram like your and I want to install two 10" Eclipse sub (model #SW6103DVC)on the passanger side under the back seat. What I want to know if I will or if I do have enough air space to install both sub on the passenger side the subs call for .99 cubit feet on a seal box. I have never made a fiber glass box before but im will to give it a shot. thanks for the help

It would be a tight squeeze to actually get two 10's in one cargo hole. My box has a sub on each end, radiators in the middle, and the radiators are much more shallow as they do not have a magnet or VC. I looked at the Eclipse 10's, they have a lot smaller motor than the G5's I used so you might be able to arrange the 2 on one side, however there won't be enough air space to properly tune the box. It's possible the box may sound good enough for you, depending on your music type and frequency expectations. If you put 1" spacers under the seat where it bolts to the floor you can gain some room..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I must say I quite enjoyed your setup. I just might have to shamelessly steal your concept and do it to my '03. Thanks for the kickstart.
Nice work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts