DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning and thanks in advance for all responses.

Forgive me for bringing up a topic that's been talked about a lot but seems to still baffle me.

Between 30 and 40 mph I get a hum that sounds like a large knobby tire.
It happens in drive and neutral. Turing or straight. All road types.

As I slow down (not pushing brakes), I can feel a slight vibration almost binding feeling through steering wheel.

I replaced both front wheel hubs.
New brakes and rotors all around and replaced a seized caliper.
New shocks and struts all around.
Tires have about 15k on them.

After all this, sound still there.

Truck has 195,000 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Did it make the noise before those tire were on there? You could always try swapping out the spare on each corner and drive it and see what happens. Harmonic sounds/vibes are extremely hard to diagnose. From my experience those kids of noises usually come from the transfer case or the rear diff. Maybe try changing out the fluid in both with a high quality synthetic. As far as the steering wheel vibe goes that could be worn front end parts (ball joints,tie rods,etc) Also I haven't seen a new rotor in a long time that was straight and didn't need to be turned right out of the box. Chinese quality leaves a lot to be desired and that's all you can get from Advance,Autozone,etc as far as I know regardless of the brand name its all chinese junk for the most part. Also bent rims are most noticeable at lower speeds so you might want to get the balance checked and for what its worth a Road force balance is the only way to go IMHO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts