DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i i have a suspension idea. I usually have 2000k to 2800klbs in the bed of my truck. i used to have a 08 ford f150 crew cab fx2 that did a good job holding the weight. now i have my 10' ram big horn and never put anything in the bed yet. My qwestion is can i cahnge my springs in the rear for springs off of a newer model 3/4ton? will the fit? will the even make a diffrence?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
If i were you, i would look online for a automotive spring shop in your area & consult with them, if you can't find a spring shop, ask your local hot rod shop where one is

you may be able to go with heavier duty coil springs on the rear & use a good set of of air shocks, or some air bags
going from coil rear springs to leaf springs could cost a bunch

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally... If you frequently have that much weight in your truck, you should have bought a 2500.

With that much weight... at least here in Canada in the back of your 1500, you are legally overweight. You can put airbags in the rear to make the rear hold up a bit more, but you're not legal yet. Plus the airbags available for the 1500
s suck because they go inside the coils... any rock that get's inbetween the bag and the coil, rips that bag.. Currently there's another design in the works.

Driving around all the time with 2000kg in the back of your 1500 is going to point your lights to the skies. If you upgrade that coil, if it's possible, it will hold the weight better... but say goodbye to your nice smooth ride when you're empty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use to do the same thing with my 1/2 ton. I added a set of Timbrens to my rear and an extra set of leaf springs. I also upgraded to load range E tires Michelin and the ride was fine. The timbrens were $225 installed and another $100 for the leaf spring set. The timbrens http://www.timbren.com/ were terrific! I finally upgraded to a 2500 diesel. This is my solution and I used it for 4 years with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts