DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran my truck a few weeks ago with awfully embarrassing times. I ran consistent 15.8's @ 84mph. It was a very hot night with a passenger but I know these 35's are killing me. That's with 3.92's with the only "mod" being an exhaust.

I'm running the truck on the 22nd again. This time I'll have my edge pulsar module, vararam intake and a 87mm throttle body. And 33's. Hoping for low 14's if not very high 13's being realistic. I believe the crew cabs with 3.92's run mid 14's stock? I've heard of guys running mid 13's with this set up except with hemi fever or jay's tuning. I'll post my times!

What do you guys think? And let's hear your times with whatever mods you have!

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
What was the DA? Elevation can make a big difference in times; 14 would be very respectable somewhere like Denver. At sea level it would be less impressive.

Kick the passenger out, drop the spare tire (maybe the tailgate too), and go back to 33s and you should shave a bit off. The Rebel's not a street truck so the high clearance bumper is going to allow more air under the truck where aeros are poor. Those 35s are making your gearing a little taller, more like running 33s with a 3.55 gear-if they're wider than 275s then the rolling resistance increase is working against you too

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google says around 650m above sea level. And the tires are 315/70's, according to BFG's site they're 12.7" wide. They're huge, the gearing doesn't seem bad even with these tires. I turn 2k around 120km. My 14 sport on 35's with 3.21's turned 2k at 150km... it was stupid.

I'll keep that all in mind though. Doing some tests I only lost 0.5 sec 0-60 with these tires but after 100km it really slows down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All else being equal, a couple simulators show you'll need about 120 extra hp to get to 14.0 sec (at 5500 lbs, with the 35's). I'll guess your power adder mods might get you 25 hp, which should put you around 15.35 sec. The 35's took your overall ratio down to about 3.7, might get you maybe another few tenths going back to 33's.

If you can, please run modded truck with the 35's. It'll be nice to see real world trap speed increases due to power adder mods, to show true hp gains. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm going to Milan dragway on the 23rd. I've got no idea what to expect. It will be my first time at the track. I used to do a little street racing when I was younger but I haven't owned anything worthy of racing in quite some time. Anyway, it should be fun. Going to give her hell and see what I get! I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just made it home from the track, awful times once again. Since my last time I went down to 33's and added the vararam with the 87mm throttle body. Probably ran 10+ times with my best being a [email protected] I can't get off the line without hopping around. Tried 4x4 launching it but the drag is terrible. Lost 6mph trap speed every time. I tried easing into the throttle but there's only so much you can do before you take a massive hit on the launches. Guess I'd have to get a drag radial to get any decent times out of this. I also paired up with a F150 ecoboost that looked stock. He ran 14.1's all night and after him being way ahead of me off the launch I can keep up with him. So I guess these trucks run low 14's with minimal mods. Sigh....

On a positive note I made it into the 13's in my dad's BMW 228i lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't make it to the track yesterday. It rained all morning and I thought the event would be cancelled. I will go down on a Wednesday some time for test and tune. I didn't buy this snell rated helmet for nothing. Besides, now I have some racing fuel to burn up around town!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
6 mph increase calculates to about 50 hp bump equivalent (some of which is due to the change from 35 to 33's ).

The trap speeds will tell you best about hp levels. The ET's are so dependent on the launch (driver technique, tires, torque management etc) they're not a good indicator.

The calculator I use shows a 5500 lb vehicle with 330 hp (stock hp after 15% drivetrain loss) will run about 14.9 @ 91, that's with an ideal launch. You're probably heavier than that too. Another 25 hp with the mods would put you at 14.5 @ 93. It also shows a 5000lb reg cab stock should run [email protected], I think that's pretty close to where they actually run.

I really don't know how it works, but my guess is that the torque management software is the biggest obstacle here, a tune should help significantly. I doubt drag radials will help, they'll probably just cause more 'torque management', but try them out if you can and let us know!

Also looking forward to Gtone's procharger run! I'l guess 12.5 @ 110 if you can hook.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did do a hit on Sunday just to burn some racing fuel off and more importantly log data for the tuner. He (hemifevertuning) said afr and timing were about dead on. I think my old man wants to race me in his '68 hemi roadrunner when I go to the track so I just wanted to know if the truck was ready. I think it's ready!

https://youtu.be/wacQwnP104E

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ran my truck a few weeks ago with awfully embarrassing times. I ran consistent 15.8's @ 84mph. It was a very hot night with a passenger but I know these 35's are killing me. That's with 3.92's with the only "mod" being an exhaust.

I'm running the truck on the 22nd again. This time I'll have my edge pulsar module, vararam intake and a 87mm throttle body. And 33's. Hoping for low 14's if not very high 13's being realistic. I believe the crew cabs with 3.92's run mid 14's stock? I've heard of guys running mid 13's with this set up except with hemi fever or jay's tuning. I'll post my times!

What do you guys think? And let's hear your times with whatever mods you have!
I took my 2015 ram to the track stock and ran 15.8 to but I put my buddys corvette tire in the back of my truck and ran 15.5 all night

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you put anything on your truck that says corvette you will automatically gain 3 tenths! Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just made it home from the track, awful times once again. Since my last time I went down to 33's and added the vararam with the 87mm throttle body. Probably ran 10+ times with my best being a [email protected] I can't get off the line without hopping around. Tried 4x4 launching it but the drag is terrible. Lost 6mph trap speed every time. I tried easing into the throttle but there's only so much you can do before you take a massive hit on the launches. Guess I'd have to get a drag radial to get any decent times out of this. I also paired up with a F150 ecoboost that looked stock. He ran 14.1's all night and after him being way ahead of me off the launch I can keep up with him. So I guess these trucks run low 14's with minimal mods. Sigh....

On a positive note I made it into the 13's in my dad's BMW 228i lol
Just add weight to your truck and it won’t hope around like me just throw a couple rooms and tires in the back your truck and it will hold it down I did and I went from 15 eight down to 15 Five

1 - 12 of 12 Posts