DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
spacers

You dont want spacers at all! Messed up my strut mounts. I ended up going with bilstein 5100 series lift struts(shocks). They gave me 2" of lift. Perfectly leveled my truck and enough room to run 33's clear no rubbing. You can get them off of 4Wheel parts (ph 800-284-9426). I only paid $150 for both and that included shipping and warranty. The only extra youll need is a coil compressor because you reuse your coil and coil mounts but you can rent a coil compressor off auto zone, advanced, oreilys. The lift strut is alot better setup for the same price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You dont want spacers at all! Messed up my strut mounts. I ended up going with bilstein 5100 series lift struts(shocks). They gave me 2" of lift. Perfectly leveled my truck and enough room to run 33's clear no rubbing. You can get them off of 4Wheel parts (ph 800-284-9426). I only paid $150 for both and that included shipping and warranty. The only extra youll need is a coil compressor because you reuse your coil and coil mounts but you can rent a coil compressor off auto zone, advanced, oreilys. The lift strut is alot better setup for the same price.
Will shocks give me a 3" lift even on 2wd? How is that the same price? I'm getting an inch higher for half the price.

·
Registered
115 Posts

oh sry nevermind didnt catch the 2wd thing. completley different setup! And the procomp spacers i had in mine before switching cost 200. Ive seen 4wd spacers as low as 100 a set but still figured if u bought 2 sets... Guess there cheaper for 2wd. didnt know they made them

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh sry nevermind didnt catch the 2wd thing. completley different setup!
NP. I failed to mention in OP. My whole big picture plan is to put three inch blocks in back, and three inch blocks in front. Buddy of mine says I can crank up the torsion bars another 3"(he works in truck shop) Do you know how high you can SAFELY go with blocks and spacers? I'm not trying to go for a performance off road lift, I'm just going for looks. I rarely ever go offroad anyhow, my truck is only 2wd.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Ya you can crank the bars up front and get a couple inches but not sure exactly how much. It is preloading your suspension though and besides riding rougher it will wear out ball joints and wheel bearings quicker. Since your mostly on road it might not be as big of deal but something to think about. As far as the back you shoulnt have any issues going 3" as far as brake line length and driveshaft length and angle. Anymore than that and im not sure though. Just make sure you get a good set of u-bolts. They can be a little pricey to have them made if you cant find the right size but better to be safe. Real easy job too. Hope it works out good for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya you can crank the bars up front and get a couple inches but not sure exactly how much. It is preloading your suspension though and besides riding rougher it will wear out ball joints and wheel bearings quicker. Since your mostly on road it might not be as big of deal but something to think about. As far as the back you shoulnt have any issues going 3" as far as brake line length and driveshaft length and angle. Anymore than that and im not sure though. Just make sure you get a good set of u-bolts. They can be a little pricey to have them made if you cant find the right size but better to be safe. Real easy job too. Hope it works out good for you.
Do you think I would have to lenthen any of that with just a 3" all around lift? If not what is the highest I could go without having to lenthen anything? (2wd 05 ram 4.7 v8 quad cab shortbed)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^Correct as far as I know. If you are installing spacers then you can't have torsion bars too. The best way to lift a 2wd is new spindles.
See I think he my friend is mistaking mine with a 4wd. But sometimes when I search for 2wd lift kits, torsion bar keys come up. So I'm a little confused. I could get under there and look but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I'm an engine type of guy, lol. But do you think that the spacers and blocks are a dumb idea? I'm not gonna be doing alot off of roading. I mainly want it for body clearance(my bumpers drag when I do go off road) and for looks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can look under the truck right behind the front tire and if there is a bar running parallel with the frame from the front lower a-arm towards the back then you have torsion bars. If you look over the top of the front tire in the wheel well and see a big spring then you have coil springs. If you have coil springs then only put one spacer on top. Don't know what you are wanting to spend but you can check out CST lifts at performancelifts.com. They have a new coil spring that is 3" taller for $189 that you can get but will need new shocks. If you click on the kit it will let you add new shocks also and a rear block kit. Or you can get new spindles for 4" for $799 and won't need new shocks and in the future if you want to go higher you can add spacers. Or get 3" coil springs now and in the future add spindles. CST also has an upgraded upper arm kit.
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/CSKD46.html
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/CSCDX2.html
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/CSS-D2-3.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts