DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, please forgive my "newby-ness" as I am not only a newby to the forum, I am also a newby to Dodge, so bare with me!! So, I have my first Dodge ever, and I love it, but I have come into a couple issues that I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me with! When I first bought it everything was fine, other than needing the ball joints and tie rod ends replaced. However, recently I noticed my c/e light was on so I had it pulled. Apparently I had developed a #1 cyl misfire that I hadn't really noticed before now. Yes, the light has been on for a few months, but I drive a tractor-trailer and am not in the Ram often enough to really notice some things! Anyway, I had also coded a bank 1 sensor 2 lean code. Since having the codes pulled I have noticed that there is now a "popping" coming out of the exhaust when I accelerate and decelerate. Mostly notable when I accelerate though. I've replaced the plugs with oe from my local Dodge dealer and replaced the wires, cap & rotor and crank position sensor. I also replaced my intake box and tube with a Spectre Intake, but that was after the codes appeared. Not being familiar with Chrysler/Dodge/Mopar vehicles I find myself at a loss. Any help you all can offer would really be great! Thanks in advance for whatever you can offer!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
First off you need to go to an auto parts store and get the codes read. Once you have that I am sure that someone will be able to come up with a plan of attack to help you out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
First please get those codes read most auto stores do it for free on OBD2 trucks. Now after we know that we will be able to pin point more. If I were to take a shot from the hip I would look at your oxygen sensors but before doing that check your fuel pressure to make sure you are in spec their.

Should be in the 35-45 psi range

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I put in my original post, I had the codes pulled and the were a cyl#1 misfire and bank 1 sensor 2 lean. I did have the compression checked and #1 was around 85psi while the rest were above 125psi. I should have had a leak-down test done at the same time but didn't think about it until after I left. It doesn't make sense that I'd have worn rings on just that one cylinder so I'm wondering if I might have a hung valve or blown intake plenum gasket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you manage to get a reading on the psi of your fuel pressure. If it is too weak that could cause your other symptoms. Lean on the o2 sensor and well as a misfire detected do to the fuel air ratio not being in spec (too lean).
Just a good thing to rule out before going forward...

A good test on the plenum is to see if yours is stock or not. There is an easy check for this. Get one of those telescoping magnets and put off the air filter housing. Stick the magnet through the throttle body and touch the bottom. That is the Plenum. If the magnet sticks yours is stock and had never been done. If it does not stock it is aluminum and has been already done before. Also while your looking in there look for large pooling of oil. A light fan spread of oil in normal and means the pcv valve is doing its job. Always replace the pcv valve first before taking on a plemum job as it is a 3 dollar part that could fix the issue

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Like I put in my original post, I had the codes pulled and the were a cyl#1 misfire and bank 1 sensor 2 lean. I did have the compression checked and #1 was around 85psi while the rest were above 125psi. I should have had a leak-down test done at the same time but didn't think about it until after I left. It doesn't make sense that I'd have worn rings on just that one cylinder so I'm wondering if I might have a hung valve or blown intake plenum gasket.
i am in the middle of an engine rebuild on an old ford 300 inline six. the number 1 cylinder had both broken rings, and a chunk of the piston burnt out. The cause was a burnt intake valve and cracked intake valve seats... Compression was about 80 PSI on cylinder 1, and read around 120 PSI for the other 5... so yes you can ruin just one set of rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts