DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes install is straight forward, and thanks for the compliments. I'll try to add more pics as I can, Flex-a-lite 183 efan is going in soon too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice, that Flex-a-lite 183 is awesome. I swapped out my Taurus E-Fan for that one when I did my cam swap. The Flex-a-lite is a nice clean install and it draws in a lot of air. Only issue I had was my windshield washer bottle and radiator overflow apparently were different than what the kit was designed for, nothing a ziptie couldn't fix lol. I think I need a 06-08 set up, not 100% on that though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the 1 ton cooler attach to the stock transmission lines that fed your original factory trans cooler? Or do you have to use different trans cooler lines to use this larger cooler?.

I really want to do this mod on my 06' 1500 so i am trying to figure out what i need to order from the dealer and how involved it is. From what i gather looking at your pics of the finished install, it seems as though it attacthes to points already on the radiator so i am guessing their is no drilling or fabricating brackets?

If this does in fact attatch right to the stock cooler lines, do i need to just order the cooler alone and that's it? Or is their hardware to order too? (Brackets, bolts, etc). Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Does the 1 ton cooler attach to the stock transmission lines that fed your original factory trans cooler? Or do you have to use different trans cooler lines to use this larger cooler?.

I really want to do this mod on my 06' 1500 so i am trying to figure out what i need to order from the dealer and how involved it is. From what i gather looking at your pics of the finished install, it seems as though it attacthes to points already on the radiator so i am guessing their is no drilling or fabricating brackets?

If this does in fact attatch right to the stock cooler lines, do i need to just order the cooler alone and that's it? Or is their hardware to order too? (Brackets, bolts, etc). Thanks in advance!
Same cooling line attachments, you need hardware (bolt and insert) similar to your existing setup. Bolts right in. Alot of people just use a bolt and nut (or whatever is on hand), but I like a factory look.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^yes. I'm going to be putting a higher stall in my truck soon (4th gen) and would like to increase trans cooling capacity as well. It looks like my oem trans cooler is the top ~10 rows of the AC condenser. Not small, but not huge. Sorry to thread jack, but anyone know of an oem truck (heavy duty, RT, 4x4, etc...) that has a larger direct fit cooler for my application?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
^yes. I'm going to be putting a higher stall in my truck soon (4th gen) and would like to increase trans cooling capacity as well. It looks like my oem trans cooler is the top ~10 rows of the AC condenser. Not small, but not huge. Sorry to thread jack, but anyone know of an oem truck (heavy duty, RT, 4x4, etc...) that has a larger direct fit cooler for my application?
I am willing to bet there is an HD version for the 4th gens as well. How plug'n'play it is, however, remains to be seen.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I have access to the 2009 service manual (it's on this site, worth downloading). It shows a similar setup as the 3rd gens for cooling up front (PS cooler across the bottom, trans cooler above that).

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I am willing to bet there is an HD version for the 4th gens as well. How plug'n'play it is, however, remains to be seen.
I have access to the 2009 service manual (it's on this site, worth downloading). It shows a similar setup as the 3rd gens for cooling up front (PS cooler across the bottom, trans cooler above that).
Guy I work with has a 2010 2500 w/6.7. His front end is a mess, because all of the cooling apparatus is jammed together, rad, intercooler, trans cooler, PS cooler, A/C condenser. What I did find was his trans cooler is about as big as mine, but mounts more near the top and it looks like the lines in and out are further up as well.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^so the trans cooler is separate from the AC condensor on his truck? Thanks for the info.

My truck has radiator, trans cooler/AC condenser(1 unit), and PS cooler.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts