DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Fellow Ram Owners

1 year ago today i purchased my first "Dodge" Ram 1500 Sport QC 4x4.
I was a GM / Chevrolet guy due to family working for GM and GM discount.
My wife took a job with a Harley Dealer that was partially owned by a guy that also owned a Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Ram dealer. He allowed me to purchase a truck at Chrysler Employee pricing. This brought the cost down for me and allowed me to finally buy what i felt was the best looking 1500 pickup on the market, A RAM!

Before purchasing my 2011 Ram 1500 i owned a 2006 Silverado 1500, a 2004 Avalanche, and a 2003 Silverado 1500. All vehicles were purchased new.

After owning my Ram for 1 year i thought i would post some thoughts about the Ram and my experiences so far.

I can say with a big smile on my face that my RAM is the 1st of my new vehicles to make it through the 1st year of ownership without ANY trips to the dealer for recalls / issues / warranty work. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Some of the chevrolets i had were better than others but i never had one that made it through the 1st year with 0 trips to the dealer for anything! I know people have had their issues with drive shafts and transmissions and rear ends (luckily mine was built after that issue was solved). I have truly been lucky with this Ram and enjoy driving it with the HEMI everyday! I still get excited to drive it all the time.

I have 13,000 miles on my ram over the past 12 months. During that time i have changed the oil 3 times, the 3rd time being yesterday. I switched to synthetic oil after draining the factory fill (as the oil change needed message showed up at 3500 miles, after switching to full synthetic the 2nd oil change message showed up at 8000 miles, and i changed it at 13 k yesterday but the message wasn't on yet but it had been 5k and i got the oil on sale.

There are very few things i would change on my Ram and most of them have been mentioned on the forums at one time or another. Most of my complaints have been cosmetic in nature (like the chrome ring around the center console blinding people, i plasti dipped mine) and the antenna being silver/metal colored (i also plasti dipped that).

As for mods, i put a set of step bars on and my truck being black i decided i didn't like the chrome step bars and plasti dipped those as well (it has held up great so far after 6 months.) I put a tonneau pro tonneau on as well. Vent Visor window covers, "HEMI" hitch insert in the trailer hitch, MOPAR T Shifter, and i Plasti Dipped all the Chrome Logos on the truck so they are black.

In a few months i am going to do the Y Pipe and Muffler Swap as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found some by a company called Back Country on the internet. Can't remember the site but they were less than 200 bucks. They were inexpensive and cheap to install. They aren't super fancy or anything but they do the job (getting my short wife into the truck). If i would have it to do over again i would have gotten them in the black powder coated finish. But it was easy to remove them and plasti dip them. The plasti dip has help up surprisingly well for being on the step bars and taking the brunt of stuff tossed up on them by the front tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you UncleTony....big time GM guy, and this is my first Ram. Matter of fact mine is nearly the same as yours...just a different color. The Ram won me over after the test drive. Always thought they were a sharp looking truck, but the Hemi power, and the interior design ultimately won me over. After a long list of Chevrolet's, GMC's, and Pontiac's I felt it was time to take a hard look at what else is out there which landed me in the Ram.

I've only got a little over 3k miles on mine, but she's been solid so far. Still having an issue with a slight highway vibration, and dealer is telling me it's the 20's. Road Force balancing has helped, but not resolved just yet.

I know all about my Chevrolet's going into the shop. Just last week my wife's brand new 2011 Traverse died, spent a week being fixed, and will need to go back again. The Chevy dealer has been good to us, but going through this nonsense all last week with her car helped reaffirm my decision taking a chance on a different brand for once. :smileup:

I think if Chrysler keeps designing, and building sharp looking vehicles like this Ram, they might get more and more people like us to switch brands for a first time. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
hey uncle tony, did you not need the recall done on the rear end? maybe your truck build date wasn't part of it but it was so wide spread would make me think your truck is included.
looks are subjective and i do like the exterior looks of the silverados. they fail on the interior. this is my 3rd ram and i just keep enjoying the upward spiral in quality.
gotta love the sport hood you have. enjoy!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dang,,, for once a positive thread about the RAMs. :box2:
I have had mine a little over a year and I actually have 38,000 miles and I love it and it's as solid as day one. This is my 3rd RAM after also being a chevy guy. Won't do that mistake again as my last chevy spent more time at the dealership getting one thing or another fixed than it did in my driveway/garage. You are right, they keep spiraling upward, getting better and better.
I like the idea of plastic dipping the antenna. I did my chrome shifter ring about 9 months or so ago and love that its now black and is holding up surprising well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have a 2011 that I have had for 1 year and 4 months (bought in September 2010). Only been to the dealer once for a recall item. I have about twice the milage as you though...I just hit 24,000. I have made many long trips in this bad boy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had mine for a little over 14 months now. It was in the shop for several days (total 40-some days) soon after I purchased it for the torque converter issue. Then a few more days for a power lock/latch issue.

Sorry to say that this has left me with a bad taste and I would not buy another Ram, but glad to hear from folks that have a new Ram that has been trouble free!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I my self used to be a die hard gm/chev guy and found myself in a 2009 ram sport Qc which turned out to be a electrical nightmare,in april 2011 I traded in the 09 and picked up 2011 sport Qc long horn package with all the bells and whistels.I had a 6" lift installed and aside from the dodge dealer dropping the ball on the install(had to get a 4x4 shop to dial in the suspention so it was safe to drive).other than that I will have had it a year next month put on 13k km(live in Canada) and I have had no issues with it and it is by far the nicest and best performing vehical I have owned love that Hemi

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice to hear positive feedback.
First time Ram/mopar owner (not counting the '70 Chrysler Windsor I bought when in school), bought it more on good faith than reputation.
Hopefully my experience will mirror yours.

Ed

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Well congrats.....It's nice to see a great review.....I too also think the RAM truck is well built and the best looking truck on the market, but that's just my opinion.....Hope you get many more great years.....

Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2011 SLT Quad 4x4 Hemi is a year old as well. 13,000 miles and no issues with the exception of two deer running into the passenger side doors. 3 grand and two new doors later, she is like new. I have been a mopar man for years. Two dakotas for 20 years and loved em both, but this RAM is the by far heads and shoulders over the Dakotas! Look forward to driving it each day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have had ours since Nov. 2011 and yet we only have 2800 miles on it, we don't drive much! We really like it. I has been on a long road trip and getting ready to take another and we are looking forward to it. It is a very solid feeling truck. We have the QC Outdoorsman package with the 4.7 but still sounds very good. Soon to get windows tinted and exhaust. Already done some debadging on it as well

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bought mine in Aug 2011, has been very troublefree. Only a few minor quibbles... 1) The fuel sloshing issue with the 32 gal tank. 2) The shiny trim piece around the console shifter (Will probably Plasti-Dip that soon). 3) The overly optimistic EVIC system that is usually 1-2 mpg higher than my real mpg. 4) MDS system is not as seamless as I had hoped; you can definitely tell when the Hemi is in 4 cylinder mode at low speeds. Easily defeated by switching the tranny to '5'.

As I said very MINOR issues, nothing even worth bothering with going to the dealer. I love the power and smooth highway ride of the truck. Pulls a 2000lb popup camper like it is a toy, even logged 18.5 mpg (true mpg, not EVIC mpg) while towing the popup to Palo Duro Canyon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts