DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I can honestly say even though I have a tuner and set my speed limiter to 120mph, I don't believe I've ever gone past 90mph. Definitely not past 100mph.

I agree if your in a safe area where you can't harm anyone else, do as you wish, but I also agree it's hard to find a place on the road that you can go over 100mph and not be a threat to others. MAYBE in the middle of the night on a dead highway....even then though you never really know whose coming down the side street or whatever...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
If people would buy some common sense, we wouldn't need these controlling laws.
I think we should still get rid of these laws, and stop supporting and rewarding those with no sense :)

Then we again wouldn't need these laws as the only remaining people would have common sense.

Has anyone on here done a 2010 PCM swap? JW if it works out. I have yet to actually see someone with results.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^People in other countries know how to drive though...

The 70mph limit is mainly for fuel savings. Fuel economy starts decreasing from about 55-65mph, then starts REALLY decreasing above that speed. By 70-75mph it is plummeting. If you slow to about 65mph you'll be amazed how much economy increases. At 55mph it's almost unreal lol, you'll get above what the sticker says.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
That's fine lol, I was just explaining the reason that the speed limit will never be raised above 70mph...

Why do you use 93 octane? Anything over 89 is just wasted money, you won't gain anything from the premium unless you have it tuned.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^they are right. Everything listed at the pump is a MINIMUM. So 89 octane is at least 89 octane. Ethanol content listed at the pump is a MAXIMUM. So if it says 10%, it's 10% at the most.

Keeping in mind, some stations do not operate as they are supposed to...

Also, not that running 93 in a vehicle requiring 89 every once in a while is a huge concern, but using higher octane than required does cause carbon buildup.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
dodgert:

So are you saying that I could run say 89 octane with my 93 tune and it would still be high enough octane?

I agree about it all being basically the same gas (I at least know in my area it all comes from the same place, central florida pipeline, and each company just uses different additives). But I though the octane was at least specific enough to actually be spot on(or slightly over).

Sorry to get off topic...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I understand that about "premium" fuel. I know it's not simply "cleaner" or "better" fuel. The whole point is supposed to be that higher octane provides a slower burn which protects against detonation. Sounds like maybe the lower advertised octanes are actually higher than advertised though...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Are vehicles like corvette Z06 and ZR1, Viper, etc. governed? JW if all vehicles are or only certain ones. IMO a lot has to do with the factory tire speed rating.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
To address the original topic here, I took mine (2012 RT) to the track after first reading this and my truck is not limited to 105? I pulled 113 at the track with it. Could possible swap certain parts to get your truck to pull a higher top end numbers ? Just a thought.
You want us to believe that your truck went 113mph in the quarter mile? That's roughly a 12-13 second ET. You're about 20mph and 2 seconds off reality...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^ok that makes much more sense.

BTW to everyone on here, if you REALLY want to go over the speed limiter, I'm pretty sure you can just hold the key fob in the "start" position and it bypasses the limiter. Not sure what happens like if you have to keep holding it, or if you let it go while going 120mph then the engine dies or what, but I've read this several times and some claimed they've done it. Supposedly this works to bypass all the computer "BS", and the starter does not try to engage either...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Have to disagree, a study in the UK (looking for a link at the moment) says the drag co-efficient has the largest effect on fuel economy at 90 + MPH
Well yeah the faster you go the worse it gets, but it falls off at about 60-70mph. If you look at some curves it jumps up fast from like 20-30mph then is fairly flat with a slow increase up to about 60mph, then slowly drops to 70mph, then falls almost straight down there after.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Hell yes! I tow a trailer with my '12 Laramie Linghorn at 95mph...I have had her over 125 but man she got real squirrelly at that speed.
I'm so happy you live in KY and not in my state.

Does anyone know if there are variables of speed that you can select on the governor? Other than turning it off?
The most reasonable way to deal with this if you want to is to buy a programmer and then you can adjust the limiter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.