DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow I didn't realize, almost everyone, would take such offense to this post. I was not saying i drive around at 105 mph everywhere i go. Just simply pointing out a fact. If i did take it to a track, I guess i would be limited now wouldn't I? BYW my 04' Hemisport had no problems with 120...at the track of course.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I remember when they changed the speed limits across the country wasnt there a push by auto dealers to govern their vehicles or something, I thought I remembered something like that. Maybe I am just showing my age. It could very well be to do with tires, limiting a vehicle to the limit of a stock item on the vehicle would make sense from a law suit stand point these days. I mean it is the age of sue thy neighbor ..lol

· Registered
462 Posts
Wow I didn't realize, almost everyone, would take such offense to this post. I was not saying i drive around at 105 mph everywhere i go. Just simply pointing out a fact. If i did take it to a track, I guess i would be limited now wouldn't I? BYW my 04' Hemisport had no problems with 120...at the track of course.
You are always going to find someone who doesn't agree with a post especially in regards to speed. Yeah the governor hits at 105. It feels very odd when it does and freaked me out the first time. It stinks if you ever plan on taking an 2011 to the track. Larger viechles are governed at lower speeds simply due to their center of gravity, weight which correlates to stopping distance, maneuverability, and speed rating specifications of stock tires. There is always someone who will push the complete limit.

Just cause it is a truck someone can't say you shouldn't do it. I mean should you go 170mph on a sports bike. Probably not, have I done it...yes!

Hopefully a tuner will one day get your truck to the speed you want it, just be smart about it. :LOL:

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, the speed rating for the crap Goodyear Wrangler HP is 112 mph. As soon as the snow is gone for good, my General Grabbers are going on. Speed rating of 149 mph. Of course it does no good without the governor gone. All in good fun no worries.:eek:ld:

· Registered
148 Posts
If only once I wanted to go faster... First, I am not a reckless driver! My wife and I were traveling on one of our few freeways through the interior of BC one early Sunday morning in her AWD R/T Avenger, v6 235 horse 6 spd, (with no traffic anywhere) and lo and behold a lowly Vette (late 80's) comes up on us. We were doing about 100 kms/hr (60 mph) and decided to stretch the legs of our little Avenger... we easily caught the Vette and the race was on... our Avenger rapidly out accelerated the Vette and we had maybe 3 car lengths on him when we hit 105 mph! And of course... hit the governor and the Vette overtook us. I was a little disappointed at that time, although we were about to pull the pin on our trip above the century mark in mph... and trust me, at 105, the Avenger was stuck to the road... Just once I wish we had a little more headroom. On another note, we haven't done that since... Nothing feel better than putting a Chebby in its place though!

· Registered
32 Posts
Safe Area for Reckles Driving?

Safe area? I don't think such thing exists on any public road. If the need for speed arises, go to a track or such. I have to admit that I did some stupid things in my youth, and thank my guardian angels that I didn't hurt myself, or even worse, someone else. I did lose a best friend from opening up his Mustang on a "safe area". He was so deformed, it was a closed casket funeral. In that "safe area", he hit an armadillo. Granted, our Rams will porbably go through an armadillo like a knife to butter, but there are so many other variables that it surely doesn't add up to take the risk for a bit of speed rush. You know what worked for me to get my speed rush rocks off, dirt bikes. This is all my opinion of course, but I'm sure if you take a poll...at least most middle aged men, will agree. I totally agree with the governed speed. What condition grants going 105 mph to begin with?

Having an great wife, an awesome 4 year old, a great dog, and another baby coming...I couldn't imagine losing any of them to some stupid whiper snapper speeding past the safe limits just to get his rocks off.

· Registered
698 Posts
I've been following this thread a bit and debating whether to participate. It's usually a lost cause to try to change anyone's mind, so it's probably more of a "here's my 2 cents" on the issue. I am sick to death of the government, manufacturers, and other do-gooders in the world trying to dictate every aspect of people's lives. That is not to say that logical, reasonable laws and regulations of some kind are not necessary in some form or another.

However, this issue with governing vehicle speed is one of those that doesn't really have the data to support this as being necessary. In vehicle deaths, alcohol is probably the biggest factor in killing people. The next one is weather related crashes where extreme speeds at some governed level...like 105...have no bearing...maybe too fast for the conditions but nothing a governor would have affected. The next one is the violation of traffic control devices like red lights, stop signs, yield signs, etc. In fact if you study many extreme speed accidents, they are almost always 1 vehicle accidents. I would consider that just good Darwinism at work in those cases. If you or any family members are hurt or killed on the roadway, it will almost exclusively be at the hands of one of those categories I mentioned above that don't involve extreme speeds.

I was a cop for over 30 years before retiring, and the last 7 years of that was as the traffic division commander of our city's police department. I've seen and worked more fatalities than you can shake a stick at and read more studies than I would have preferred. With my background you can guess that I'm not a rabid scofflaw when it comes to protecting society or throwing out the baby with the bath water. Still, the nanny state mentality has become so pervasive in all categories of our personal lives that it seems we are incapable of taking care of ourselves. One element of living in a free society will always be a small amount of risk. Those of us old enough to remember would have laughed at some of the kinds of things being controlled and attempting to be controlled these days. Maybe it's not such a laughing matter.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Bottom line is that the truck is not designed for high speeds and the tires are not rated for it. That's why they put the limiter on. The idiot that does 150 in a full size truck and wraps it around a pole would immediately sue the manufacturer (if they lived).

I agree that if you want to do 100+, get a vehicle designed to do so.
If you want to drive your RAM like a Vette: Don't endanger others and don't file a claim for the accident on your insurance -and don't charge your medical insurance for your damaged body -and don't be married with kids -and don't have any friends or family that care about you. I'll still shovel your parts into a bag, but that's about it. Murphys law will get ya.

If people would buy some common sense, we wouldn't need these controlling laws.

· Registered
462 Posts
If our biggest concern is safety and that is the reason we put governors on the trucks then we might as well limit them to 80. Trucks of that size shouldn't be going any faster. Yes people should have common sense, but many don't. I suggest money better spent on breathalyzers for all vehicles.

This whole thing has turned into a soap box series of replies. Truck is limited at 105, until they unlock the PCM those who want to use their truck on the track are stuck.

· Registered
251 Posts
Bottom line is that the truck is not designed for high speeds and the tires are not rated for it. That's why they put the limiter on. The idiot that does 150 in a full size truck and wraps it around a pole would immediately sue the manufacturer (if they lived).

If you want to drive your RAM like a Vette: Don't endanger others and don't file a claim for the accident on your insurance -and don't charge your medical insurance for your damaged body -and don't be married with kids -and don't have any friends or family that care about you. I'll still shovel your parts into a bag, but that's about it. Murphys law will get ya.

:smileup::smileup:

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I think we should still get rid of these laws, and stop supporting and rewarding those with no sense :)

Then we again wouldn't need these laws as the only remaining people would have common sense.

Has anyone on here done a 2010 PCM swap? JW if it works out. I have yet to actually see someone with results.

· Registered
4,434 Posts

I disagree my truck was made for speed i have the suspension and tires rated at 150 plus so ya kinda peeved i cant go over 105 so if i were to add shit to it and race at the track would suck not going over 105

· Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,479 Posts
No other cars, except for the Subaru that you were tailgating, at 105mph, right?
Dude didn't you read the OPs first post....the subaru was LEAVING him behind, he was no danger to it!!!! OP if you want to go fast and are willing to pay the price when you get caught I say have at it. I do, thats why I chose to live in a FREE country

21 - 40 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.