DODGE RAM FORUM banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Ya, I'm a hypocrite. As a motorcyclist, I believe in NO helmet law. That way, all the idiots would soon be off the road :LOL::att:

· Registered
148 Posts
Silly thing is that if you crash at 95... or 105... or 115... or 125... you're dead anyway... Really the argument about 105 top end being for safety sake is likely tied to tire ratings as others have posted.

My 2 bits...

· Registered
441 Posts
I am in Athens greece and have been here for the last couple of months and have been driving around Athens and surrounding areas for the last month or so. Coming from England I am used to driving in Europe. I think some of you might enjoy the experience as it is quite liberating compared to driving in the States. I am driving a little Fiat van which might have top speed of about 90, on the freeway I travel about 70 to 80 mph and try stay in the inside lane as much as possible as all sorts of cars, vans, motor bikes will pass travailing maybe in excess or up to 110 mph or more this includes little smart cars that will pass maybe at 95. City travel is just as fast as the conditions allow motor bike pass at will between cars maybe 10 t0 15 mph faster than the flow of traffic this includes the motor bike police who generally ride 2 to a bike which seems to be the mode of police patrol. The speed limits are not closely observed by anyone, this may see dangerous but what it does is teach you to be aware of all traffic and what is happening all the time and lane discipling is essential. Driving in the states to me can be more nerve racking because lane discipline is not observed very much and their is a lot this is my space and you are not going to encroach attitude .Where I would overtake in Greece even with an under powered car I do not attempt in the states because generally the attitude of most drivers.

· Registered
441 Posts
Aha - I think you've stumbled onto the answer for Greece's debt problems ! Enforce the traffic laws with large fines and presto - no more defecit - at least that's the model being followed over here :)
Maybe the reverse could be the answer to the US financial problems drive like the Greeks in the US as you would certainly get ticketed???

· Registered
44 Posts
I really think are National Speed Limit should be raised. I mean in the 1970's it was 70 MPH when cars did not have Air Bags, ABS, Rollover Mitigation,Crash Avoidance, Stability Control,Traction Control, Etc....... The stopping distances for vehicles is much improved.

Then the oil embargo they droppped the speed limit to 55 MPH then it went to 65 HPH now we are back to 70 MPH. I think 85 MPH would be a good national speed limit for cars and trucks. I would say 65 MPH for all commerical vehicles.

If you go to Germany people are driving Mini Vans on the Autobahn 90-100 MPH with no problems and thats with Porches and Ferraris coming around them at 140 MPH +

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^People in other countries know how to drive though...

The 70mph limit is mainly for fuel savings. Fuel economy starts decreasing from about 55-65mph, then starts REALLY decreasing above that speed. By 70-75mph it is plummeting. If you slow to about 65mph you'll be amazed how much economy increases. At 55mph it's almost unreal lol, you'll get above what the sticker says.

· Registered
44 Posts
I have no concern about Fuel Economy. When it says E I will fill it up with 93 Octane.

I think thats kinda the point of the thread. If you want fuel economy stay in the far right lane. I want to go 85 MPH and get 8 MPG in the fast lane. This way its down to personal choice and preference.

LONG LIVE THE HEMI:smiley_thumbs_up:

· Registered
13,692 Posts
That's fine lol, I was just explaining the reason that the speed limit will never be raised above 70mph...

Why do you use 93 octane? Anything over 89 is just wasted money, you won't gain anything from the premium unless you have it tuned.

· Registered
148 Posts
93 is preferred, that's right out of the manual... Even though it never said so in my 97 Dakota's manual, for the 3.9 it stopped the ping, and I picked up about 40-60 kms per tank! My wife's R/T is recommended to run on 93 as well...

· Registered
462 Posts
93 is preferred, that's right out of the manual... Even though it never said so in my 97 Dakota's manual, for the 3.9 it stopped the ping, and I picked up about 40-60 kms per tank! My wife's R/T is recommended to run on 93 as well...
I have a 2011 Sport with the same engine and the manual says 89 preferred, 87 okay. So unless they did something to the engine which I doubt I wonder where you guys are getting your manuals from.

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high quality unleaded gasoline having
an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer
recommends the use of 89 octane for
optimum performance. The use of premium gasoline is
not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over
regular gasoline in these engines." (2012 Ram Truck Owners Manual)

Just putting it out there so guys don't start seeing people say manual recommends 93 and freak out. All 4th Gen's recommend 89.

I believe Diablo has a 91 Tune for the 2009-2010. They also have an 87 Tune. That would be nice if they could unlock those 2011 PCM's :doh:

· Registered
116 Posts
Just seems like this thread has gotten a little of topic. I understand why this thread was started and i agree with the statement that was made about the trucks or any automobile having a governor on them.

:LOL:

· Registered
44 Posts
Ok, so here is why I just run 93. If I put 89 Octane in it and lets say the gas is actually 88.4 Octane, then I have not gotten the full ability of the engine. Also most major companies offer a better blend of chemicals with the Premium Fuel. Anti Corrosion Etc.

I agree with you on what the manual says, but its just a few pennies more per gallon and I dont drive that much.

The current cost of gas in my town is 87-$3.85 89-$3.95 93-$4.05

I usually buy around 28 gallons per week so 89-$110.60 93-114.40
So thats $3.80 per fill up. As expensive as these trucks are I just cant understand all the BREW HAHA over the different Octanes. I drink more than $4.00 per day in Coca Colas

· Registered
1,406 Posts
You are correct about better blend components in Premium but the detergent package is the same in all octanes of a given brand. Also, by law, 87 MUST be a minimum of 87 road octane, 89 Must be 89, etc. Always, you get a couple tenths more than each grade advertised.

· Registered
462 Posts
Ok, so here is why I just run 93. If I put 89 Octane in it and lets say the gas is actually 88.4 Octane, then I have not gotten the full ability of the engine. Also most major companies offer a better blend of chemicals with the Premium Fuel. Anti Corrosion Etc.

I agree with you on what the manual says, but its just a few pennies more per gallon and I dont drive that much.

The current cost of gas in my town is 87-$3.85 89-$3.95 93-$4.05

I usually buy around 28 gallons per week so 89-$110.60 93-114.40
So thats $3.80 per fill up. As expensive as these trucks are I just cant understand all the BREW HAHA over the different Octanes. I drink more than $4.00 per day in Coca Colas
Well premium in Chicago is $4.70, so when my monthly gas allowance exceeds the monthly payment I make on the truck I start to question putting in premium. My post was actually aimed at the person who stated that the manual recommended 93 when in truth it recommends 89 and you will do just fine with 87. Not like your voiding any warranties. It is all a personal preference. Similar to which gas brand is better. I buy costco cause it is the cheapest around here and it only comes in 87 or 93.

The truck adjusts for octane rating so 87 & 89 are perfectly okay. It all comes down to what you can afford. I will probably want a new truck in the next 5 years and I run 87. It should last me through that time frame just fine.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^they are right. Everything listed at the pump is a MINIMUM. So 89 octane is at least 89 octane. Ethanol content listed at the pump is a MAXIMUM. So if it says 10%, it's 10% at the most.

Keeping in mind, some stations do not operate as they are supposed to...

Also, not that running 93 in a vehicle requiring 89 every once in a while is a huge concern, but using higher octane than required does cause carbon buildup.

· Registered
4,434 Posts
I worked in an oil refinery its all the same gas with some shit added to it to raise the octane i have a real r/t and i run 87 for a year not 1 prob once a month ill put gas treatment in it. But if you knew the bullshit that goes on in the manufacturing of gas i gauntee youd never pay high price for premium again

41 - 60 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.