DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the 2012 seat fabric (black/gray) in my Express the same as the seat fabric in a 09-11? I looking at buying a power seat from a guy but it came out of an 11. I don't care about the power seat but I really need to get the lumbar support for my back. The stock seats look great but are really not very comfortable. I'm tempted to take it to an upholstery shop and have them add a layer of softer foam on the bottom too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a 2010 1500 CC, traded it in for a 2012 PW, got the same interior color scheme. The only differences were I have the premium bench in the PW, the 1500 had the bucket seats, the rear headrests in the 2012 PW were ridiculously over sized compared to the ones in the 2010's so I swapped them, as for the seat fabric I can't tell any difference. To me they are the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got off my lazy butt and decided to fix the seat so I wouldn't have to buy a new seat just for some lumbar support. It took about a half an hour and it is night and day different. All I did was cut about 2in (thick) of foam from a mattress top pad and insert it between the metal spring/frame and the current foam in the lumbar region. 2 in of foam will give you about the same amount of lumbar support as having a power seat with the lumbar 75% out.
The seat comes out with 4 bolts and the seat back upholstery will slide up enough to insert the foam after you release the U channel fastener at the bottom. Its pretty obvious after you take the seat out and turn it upside down.

G

·
Speed....good move on your part. Innovation and necessity are the mother of invention.

I have the lumbar support, and truthfully, it barely does enough to put the pressure I need in my lower back to provide the support that relieves the pressure. I bought one of those Tempurpedic lumbar supports and use that in stead of the factory lumbar support.

I commend you for taking the initiative to improve on something that doesn't quite meet the mark.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I "test sat" all of the available seat options before I ordered my truck and I got the premium power drivers seat just for the lumbar as well. It doesn't have the range of adjustment that many power seats do but its enough for me. Now if it only had extendable thigh support like my mercedes I'd really be happy. Overall, I'm finding it very comfortable, but I suppose everyones back is different.

G

·
I had a 2010 1500 CC, traded it in for a 2012 PW, got the same interior color scheme. The only differences were I have the premium bench in the PW, the 1500 had the bucket seats, the rear headrests in the 2012 PW were ridiculously over sized compared to the ones in the 2010's so I swapped them, as for the seat fabric I can't tell any difference. To me they are the same.
I've got some fused discs in my neck and these headrests lean too far forward and are flat out uncomfortable. For the time being, I just pulled out the headrests and reversed the driver's side....but you said you had swapped out the headrests for the ones in your 2010? Do they have any adjustment or do they sit straighter up? this may be a solution for my problem.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts