DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I bought a brand-new 2014 ram 1500 sport with the ram box with 20 miles on it three days and 100 miles later the truck shut off while driving down the road.had roadside service come towed to the dealership. next Day dealership says bent pushrod broken valve spring. The guy said they replaced the parts they've been idling the truck for a while now the guys going to drive it and then tomorrowhe's going to drive it again and that's it and then I'll have the truck back my issue is probably clear to most of you. I don't feel comfortable driving a truck that has already been opened up in the first few miles. Has anybody had any experiences like this the lemon law does not cover me yet I'm in California I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Occasionally new parts do break on new vehicles. That is why we have a warranty, to cover these issues in new products.

It is not unheard of for a spring to break in the head of a vehicle. I have had it happen in a few vehicles I have had over the the years. I would recommend since it did break that you have the dealer do a compression test on that cylinder to make sure the valve is ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A week ago I bought a brand-new 2014 ram 1500 sport with the ram box with 20 miles on it three days and 100 miles later the truck shut off while driving down the road.had roadside service come towed to the dealership. next Day dealership says bent pushrod broken valve spring. The guy said they replaced the parts they've been idling the truck for a while now the guys going to drive it and then tomorrowhe's going to drive it again and that's it and then I'll have the truck back my issue is probably clear to most of you. I don't feel comfortable driving a truck that has already been opened up in the first few miles. Has anybody had any experiences like this the lemon law does not cover me yet I'm in California I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.
Lemmon law only applies if you have to take it back more than 3 times for the same thing and its out of service more than 30 days fixing it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first post starts off almost exactly the same.

120 miles... New engine???

And since then, it's still in the shop... Day 24 now...

Hang in there and push for a warranty through ram care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got out of a truck with 110,000 miles so I can have more reliability and peace of mind I have a young family I don't need to be stuck on the side of the road.made the investment exactly for these reasons.i've talked to some mechanics and they said they think the whole engine should be replaced.going to ask for a lifetime warranty on the house I don't think that's Asking too much at all this thing will most likely have more problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They gave me a rental... The dealership is being professional ....I haven't demanded anything crazy or asked for anything really except for all the paperwork and documentation so I can take care of that I did look up the lemon laws I appreciate the help from you guys and all your opinions

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope you get the extra warranty on them. I'm pretty sure when the spring failed and it took out the push rod. Minor flaws will show up quick. Unfortunately Chrysler probably wont change a engine for something like that. I would rather have them change a push rod and spring then change the engine. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would rather have them change a push rod and spring then change the engine.
That's the truth! Seems like there's always a gremlin or two after an engine gets pulled and re-installed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh man, I can't imagine something like that. Glad they are working with you and yes I would want some kind of warranty for anything that was touched to repair the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealership came through and are going to replace the truck with a brand-new one now I have to do is find the one With all the options that I had ram box l sport 8 speed etc.which sounds great but the one I bought was the last one and 500 miles a few dealers were fighting about it to begin with so I am happy but still not out of the woods

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like this is going to work out well for you. That's a stand up dealer! I hope you find the right truck quickly. :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like a great dealer and wants to make you happy, that doesn't always happen.

Good luck on finding a clone for your truck. Hopefully it should be a little easier as they are are rolling out the door at a good clip now, full production for almost 3 months for the 2015's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 1500 at the end of January. After 4700 km of highway driving I had 2 bent rods and a broken rocker arm. They fired the parts canon at it and changed a lot of parts trying to fix it. I am not impressed and hope Dodge come good with a warranty or something. I waited a while to complain but only got a free oil change from dealer!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I hope you get the extra warranty on them. I'm pretty sure when the spring failed and it took out the push rod. Minor flaws will show up quick. Unfortunately Chrysler probably wont change a engine for something like that. I would rather have them change a push rod and spring then change the engine. Good luck with everything.
I agree with you on not changing the engine for something like that. There is the potential for for all kinds of things not being put back together correctly and causing problems from squeaks to bolts coming loose to wires pinched, the list goes on. The less they do to it the less chance for human error. Reassembly of something major like engine removal in a shop is never as easy as doing it on the assembly line which is the reason for potential problems. I'm not saying it can't be done but I'm just a believer in Murphy's Law so why take a chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts