DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... Saw an advertisement for the new Chevy Silverado having a 120V recepticale in the bed area.

What would it take to install one in our RAMS? I figure it would need an inverter. Sure would be convenient!

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
If you plan on using anything like electric drill or saw back there, you will need a larger invertor than the one that is fastened to the bottom of the front passenger seat, right under the seat cushion

·
Registered
381 Posts
The stock inverters can only work with very very low current draws. The one in my dash is 100 watts. To have one in the bed you would need battery size cables to a large inverter. The size of the cables on the 12 volt side need to be 10 times larger than on the 120 volt side. Watts=Watts. VoltsxAmps=VoltsxAmps. Raise the voltage by a factor of ten, Lower the amps by ten. Wire size is dictated by amps only.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
If i wanted to run power tools from the receptacle in the bed or even under the hood

I would remove the stock air filter & change it to a different setup, similar to what the Rams with 2 batteries have.
I would also run a External Voltage Regulator & a good battery isolator

Then i would install a 2nd battery, what ever it would take to store enough juice to run the power tools. I would install a power inverter & a battery isolator close to it.

For wiring, i would run 4 or even 2 fine wire gauge for low resistance back to the power receptacle. ( Tin wrapped welding cable has hundreds of fine wire strands within the cable )

I would put the receptacle itself on the passenger side of the bed, because if i am running power tools, i would want to be away from the traffic side of the truck, if i have to work while parked on a street & power cords for tools is only 5 or 6 foot long. You would not want to use extension cords if you can avoid it.The longer that the cord is, the more juice is lost in those 12 gauge wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts