DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late model low mileage drop outs are so cheap I want to put one in my single cab 08. I presently have almost 300,000 on the original motor/trans and really like my truck. I have swapped in a 05 SRT10 rear axle, 300 C leather seats, steel cowl induction hood and it's Electric blue with 2014 20" polished Ram wheels.

I know most of what is involved but just wondering who else has done it and any tips.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How'd you join in 2014 and only have 5 posts lol?
You actually have an advantage since you have a CAN bus truck already. '13 didn't' have 8sp, that wasn't until '14. It's already been figured out how to retrofit the 8HP70 to another CAN bus vehicle. Since you want to put a VVT engine with the 8sp, I recommend you give Hotwireauto.com a shout; adaptive harnesses are their bread and butter. Depending on Chris' answer, you may need to give Sound German Auto a call, they came up with the retrofit harness for the ZF. I assume you have a 2wd since you have a D60 in the back; kiss that driveshaft goodbye as you'll need a two piece to adapt the ZF trans....ZF doesn't have a provision for a slip yoke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How'd you join in 2014 and only have 5 posts lol?
You actually have an advantage since you have a CAN bus truck already. '13 didn't' have 8sp, that wasn't until '14. It's already been figured out how to retrofit the 8HP70 to another CAN bus vehicle. Since you want to put a VVT engine with the 8sp, I recommend you give Hotwireauto.com a shout; adaptive harnesses are their bread and butter. Depending on Chris' answer, you may need to give Sound German Auto a call, they came up with the retrofit harness for the ZF. I assume you have a 2wd since you have a D60 in the back; kiss that driveshaft goodbye as you'll need a two piece to adapt the ZF trans....ZF doesn't have a provision for a slip yoke.
Thank you Magnoom! I actually kind of lost touch with the forum after the initial posts. Just got busy and didn't spend much time on here.
In pics of the ZF from Rams they appear to have a much different tail drive than those from the cars. I suppose the two piece won't be too big of a deal in a short bed though. Did the trucks use a two piece?
The D60 is great. I fluked into it off ebay a number of years ago (5K miles complete for $900) looking for parts for my Viper. I thought the 4:56 would kill mileage and wind the motor up too much but not even. 75 mph is 2500 rpm, stays in MDS a lot, pulls trailers way better and jumps off the line. Almost effortless install, didn't affect brake bias and should stand up to a 5.7 forever.
I'll definitely speak with the recommended folks. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that was a dumb question about the 14 having a two piece. I looked at a couple and yes I see they are. Might be a good time to use the Gearvendors OD I've had sitting around to get a highway cruise gear, or a 16 speed. LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
The D60 is great. I fluked into it off ebay a number of years ago (5K miles complete for $900) looking for parts for my Viper. I thought the 4:56 would kill mileage and wind the motor up too much but not even. 75 mph is 2500 rpm, stays in MDS a lot, pulls trailers way better and jumps off the line. Almost effortless install, didn't affect brake bias and should stand up to a 5.7 forever.
I know, I put one in my 03 just about nine years ago lol

I guess that was a dumb question about the 14 having a two piece. I looked at a couple and yes I see they are. Might be a good time to use the Gearvendors OD I've had sitting around to get a highway cruise gear, or a 16 speed. LOL
That would be interesting, especially since the ZF is a 6sp with 2 OD gears as it stands. Last I checked GV didn't make one for the RFE, so I imagine the ZF isn't there either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, I put one in my 03 just about nine years ago lol
View attachment 130586

That would be interesting, especially since the ZF is a 6sp with 2 OD gears as it stands. Last I checked GV didn't make one for the RFE, so I imagine the ZF isn't there either.
No they don't but it could be installed instead of the hanger in the driveshaft split like they do on LWB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alignment better be spot on lol
Yes, that would be the trick. I doubt if it's worth the trouble anyway. It would take quite an increase in mileage to ever pay back the associated costs, even already having the GV. It was originally bolted up to a 4 WD transfer case so the new nose housing would be costly. Truck got 13-15 before the D60. Still does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. You swap in the front brakes too?
No. Did you? I think that was what my original posts on here were about, spindle swap questions with the SRT. Soon after I bought the truck used with almost 100,00 on the clock, I put on drilled and slotted rotors, red powder coated calipers, and ceramic pads. I've never been so surprised about pad wear as after that. I inspected the pads, (every rotation and tire replacement) again about a month ago. The pads are truthfully less than 1/2 gone, no grooves on the rotors, after close to 180,000 miles. And I pull brakeless trailers a lot. I think gremlins are sneaking in and replacing the pads in the wee hours. Crazy. I have an 06 crew diesel, 06 megacab diesel, 01 3500 V10, and have gone through numerous others over the years. I've always bought the best pads and have NEVER had them last like that. Gotta be the drilled and slotted. The D60 had 5000 on it when I installed it, probably 60,000 on it now, and the pads will need replaced soon.

I've got a set of all four coming for my wife's Hemi Aspen now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did...these are the brakes the truck should have come with. I went with the 05-06 4 pots because that was the deal I got with the spindles lol. The guy was selling brand new calipers on ebay mistakenly listed as 04's; no one wanted them. I picked up two brand new calipers for $200. I asked if he had any parts left from his truck (it burned to the ground). He still had the spindles. Another $200 got me those. Then I just needed rotors and hubs and was good to go. Since I was a bit poorer at the time (this was 10yrs ago) I went with OEM style rotors (these bastards are huge). Later on I upgraded to slots.

DSC00299.JPG IMAG2038.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once you experience Big brakes you understand how great they really are. The rotors on my Viper (all four) are the same size as the ones on my 2500 diesels and with 4 pot Brembos it is unreal how quick it shuts down. I bet they made a huge diff on your truck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So the SRT spindles bolted right on huh? Guess I'll start looking again. The ones I've got work good but nce you experience Big brakes you understand how great they really are. The rotors on my Viper (all four) are the same size as the ones on my 2500 diesels and with 4 pot Brembos it is unreal how quick it shuts down. I bet they made a huge diff on your truck.
The SRT's use different LCA's (SRT slignment specs are a bit different) but yeah, bolt right in. This was after much research and more people than I can count telling me it won't work or that I couldn't do it lol. First time I went to bed the pads in and didn't have my seat belt on....bout launched myself into the windshield.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think those are some of the best looking wheels they ever put on them. They look great on your truck and that is a dang nice looking 05. Is that an original SRT hood?

I'll put a couple more pics of mine on here tomorrow after I pick it up at the body shop. I hit a 400 lb steer one night on a dirt road going slow. That didn't hurt it. Then about 3 weeks later I hit a full grown cow on the same road, barely. It buckled the hood, broke the grill but was still driveable. They're buffing it today. Now has the cowl induction hood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts