DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
filled up tuesday for $90 and i averaged 13 mpg! i knew what i was getting into but jeez, i dont want to experience it all the time! maybe a new hemi?? thats my biggest question, to you guys with the newer dodges, are the mpg waayy better than my 08? maybe even have to get a different make!! :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i want a 4x4 to but i knew i was gonna suffer so i got a 2wd...my truck is all stock(tires, rims too) the new hemis just seem like tahts where its at... i shouldve paid the extra 3k when i bought mine so i couldve gotten a new one....dam

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
try keeping ur foot out of it unless necessary and using cruise control more when u can

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am so glad that since gas prices have gone up the weather here has gotten good enough to take my motorcycle to work at least 2 days a week so that is saving me a ton of money!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You may be disappointed... my 2010 5.7 gets that many MPG's or less in most cases. All highway is much better, but if you actually use your truck (towing, not driving like a 'blue-hair') like I do then don't expect much better. IMO it wouldn't be worth switching trucks if you're just doing it for the MPG.

·
Registered
479 Posts
you could do some performance upgrades like headers, cold air intake, bed cover, tuning chip, better tires, and other things.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I got less than 12 mpg city all winter, compared to the american gallon that would be 10 mpg per U.S, I would take 13.2 LOL. My dad has an 08 laramie with the hemi and mds, he says his with mds is no better on fuel than this 04 that I bought off of him last september, he owned both at the same time for 3 years to compare, and did the same type of driving, if anything the 08 saw alot more hwy. I know you have an 08 and are asking about the new ones I was just comparing no mds to mds..

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
you could do some performance upgrades like headers, cold air intake, bed cover, tuning chip, better tires, and other things.
In theory yes, but when you spend 2-3 grand on fuel saving stuff it takes alot of miles to make back that much money at maybe 2-3 mpg difference. Mind you modding is fun so I guess its worth the money but if you end up just doing it to gain a mpg or 2 you may never see your money back depending how long you drive ther truck..

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pull a 6x10 trailer with my bike that's all

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am getting around 14.5 to 14.8 around town with a lot of stop and go. I have been playing with manual shift and choosing 6 on the shift indicator and that has helped my mpg quiet a bit with all the stop and go traffic i do try this method and see how it works for ya. When ever you shift your truck into drive manually choose sixth gear and it should help cause the mds does not kick in and lug the truck at low speeds

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mines an 08 so its got a 5 speed and I can't manually control my gear other than 1st aand 2nd

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ram, even with all your mods your still getting that bad???

·
Registered
868 Posts
The window sticker on my truck estimated mpg was 13 in city and 18 on the hwy and that's what it gets. The v6 would be your best choice for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
id be happy with 14 even tho its only 1 mpg better, 14 just looks easier on the wallet lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts