DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First off let me start by saying, I am a terrible Hemi owner.

I got this truck brand new and have done very minor work to it. I do all my own oil changes (woop-te-do right?) and recently decided to change an idler pulley that was squealing. On most things, I followed my stepdad's advice (who is not a mechanic) on maintenance ("5W20?? That's WAY too thin of an oil to put in a truck. Buy 5W30." -"But, the manual says 5W20. I should put that right?" -"Nah! Just put whatever, it'll be fine - oh and buy the cheap stuff! That expensive crap is just a waste of money.") Now, with 133,xxx miles on it and a couple minor problems, I'm thinking I should have went with my gut.

Anyway, spilled milk. Since, oh I don't know, maybe 50,000, I've seen moisture under the oil cap. Again, followed the advice of my stepdad and went along with "oh well, it's not causing a problem - must not be a problem!" On my most recent oil change I decided to switch over to Castrol GTX High Mileage. When I took the oil cap off, there was a lot of rust-colored crusty stuff gunked onto the oil cap along with the regular moisture. I scraped some of it off with a shop rag and rubbed what was left real good to be sure none came loose and fell off and got mixed up in the oil. Still had some left on that I couldn't get off. Two questions: Is this normal? and What is the stuff? I'll try to post a pic if I can.

After I changed my idler pulley, my belt has squealed a few times so I went ahead and bought a new belt. Gonna change it tomorrow.

At about 110,000, I noticed a serious loss of power (struggling/bogging down when I put my foot in it). I guess I'm VERY well over due for spark plugs, to say the least, since the original ones are still in it (told you I was a terrible Hemi owner).

My next question is, is there anything else I need to do maintenance-wise? I've never had the transmission serviced, and it still has the original trans. fluid in it (at a good level). I've actually always heard from a few different sources that if you make it to 100K without having to change the trans. fluid, that it's best to just leave it alone. Is this true?

So to summarize for TL;DR:
1. I have moisture and rust colored crusty gunk under oil cap. What is it?
2. And is it normal?
3. Is there anything else besides a spark plug change that I am probably over due for?
4. Do I really need to change my trans. fluid/filter after 100K?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
1) Condensation
2) It's not uncommon, and seems to be more noticeable in vehicles driven on frequent short trips.
3) Change all your fluids
4) See #3

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Condensation
2) It's not uncommon, and seems to be more noticeable in vehicles driven on frequent short trips.
3) Change all your fluids
4) See #3
Hahahah okay, okay. You win. Trans fluid change soon. Thanks for the help RamTech. Much appreciated.

Changed the spark plugs and belt today. Really impressed with the improvement with the new plugs. Really made a big difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts