DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
under heavy accelerations but not near WOT I have been getting a delayed shift where 1st will disengage and in between 1st and 2nd I get a pretty good delay where I can still feel it pull/accelerate a little...torque converter?

Then comes the 2nd transmission scare...

The truck was warm and I wanted a peppy get up and go and I got a perfect 1st to 2nd shift that honestly gave me hope! however on the same ride home a denali is turning left in front of me and I slow to about 25 and then I goose the throttle about 1/3rd of WOT to get out of the way of traffic behind me and I get a head shaking pulse! Like a bucking almost.

Remember those 25 cent little kid horsey/dumbo rides outside of Ames or A&P? Imagine 3 or 4 of those little revolutions right in a row (minus the vertical elevations obviously).

Any ideas what may be going on?

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
You are corrct about it not being the MDS

Up to at least 2016, no Heavy Duty Rams had MDS
Just Ram 1500s with the 5.7L had it

It does not engage the MDS until the highest gear was reached & a constant RPM was held
It could engage at 27 MPH & disengage at at a speed of something like 77 MPH, even if Cruise Control is set & you are level ground

If your shifting issue has been happening for a while, there may be a stored code, even without the Trouble Light coming on

If you have a Autozone or another major auto parts store near you, you can ask them to hook up their scanner & check for trouble codes

Its likely that a p07** will show up
p0700 is the generic transmission trouble code, anything beside the 00 defines the issue

Such as P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction

·
Registered
354 Posts
You are corrct about it not being the MDS

Up to at least 2016, no Heavy Duty Rams had MDS
Just Ram 1500s with the 5.7L had it
I know my 2015 PowerWagon is not a true HD but it is based on the 2500 platform and it has MDS.

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
2014 was when the 6.4 Hemi came out and it is the only engine on HDs that has ever had MDS. So 2014+ has MDS, but only if its a 6.4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts