DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking like time to replace my original 2014 Ecodiesel battery. For years I have exclusively purchased interstate batteries from Costco. Costco does not carry the size of the battery in the Eco. Any recommendations on brands/retailers for a good battery replacement?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Does it use the same 94R-H7 that the Hemi trucks use? I am still running my original battery after 5+ years and nearly 80,000 miles, but I plan to get an AGM when the time comes-I'm not sure it'll make it through Winter. Intersate makes one, and that's what the Duralast Platinums are. I have been looking at NorthStar ones too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hemi is an H7 which Costco carries for $144. Ecodiesel is size H8 (not available at Costco). AutoZone has Duralast Platinum (AGM) for $199 and Duralast Gold for $159. Doesn't look like Walmart carries my size.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Do you know who makes that one?

I'm not 100% certain, but it appears to be either East Penn or Johnson Controls, depending on who you ask.

-K

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Given that I have not yet had to touch the battery in my ED.....how does the battery blanket come off? Any useful "how-to"s anywhere? I did not come up with anything searching this site.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Given that I have not yet had to touch the battery in my ED.....how does the battery blanket come off? Any useful "how-to"s anywhere? I did not come up with anything searching this site.
Well, if it's the same as the gas trucks, it just slides off (upwards) once you disconnect the cables and unbolt the holddown.

-K

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm not 100% certain, but it appears to be either East Penn or Johnson Controls, depending on who you ask.
It also depends, sometimes, on the model line/series of batteries. Some auto parts stores use Johnson Controls for their regular batteries, and East Penn (Deka) for their higher end (AGM) batteries, or vice versa (or insert Exide in place of either).

Speaking just about the AGM lines, if you look at many resources online, Advance Auto and Autozone appear to both be Johnson Controls. O'Reillys batteries are East Penn (Deka). Duracell batteries (Batteries Plus or Sams Club) are made by East Penn (Deka).

This is not 100% universal, but if the AGM states "Made in USA" or something to that effect, its usually made by East Penn (Deka).

Napa are supposedly Exide, although I have not confirmed that.

Walmart (EverStart) are usually Johnson Controls, but Walmart tends to dip into a bit of everyone.

If you want the big, dirty list, I find this one is usually accurate, and updated fairly often.
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts