DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the muffler shop this morning, had a magnaflow 14" Xl series muffler installed where the factory muffler was. My 2012 truck came with the factory dual tail pipes, with this in mind here's my thoughts.

I had the same muffler on my Gen 3, but I had dual side pipes before the rear wheels. Gen 3 was allot louder in every way, This new exhaust is very mellow & at highway speeds its barely noticeable. I'm guessing the sound difference is due to the resonators in the 2012 tailpipes? But on the other hand there's hardly any drone on the Gen 4 system.

For you guys running 18" & larger do you even notice a differnce over the factory sound?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have the '09 w/ 18" Magnaflow si/do
It has a nice low rumble when i start it up in the morning
I hear it on hill or driving down a tree lined road
Otherwise it is pretty quiet

I put it on when the Ram had 700 miles on it, & it is just starting to sound better & i now have 60,000 miles on it.
I think a Y or X pipe might make a difference, because the exhaust would breathe better, the stock one is flattened out, like someone took a sledge hammer to it to make it fit.

Better flowing resonators may sound better, but at some point you will start hearing the drone, like you do without them.

In my business i enter a lot of mobile home parks & seniors complain about unnecessary noise, so i will won't mess with the resonators

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ya, I know the 14" will be to much for me too. I'm thinking 18".

·
Registered
340 Posts
Right now it's just wanting to be loud and your willing to live with it. Later it becomes I like being loud for a minute and then quiet is good. Kinda like a visit from the grand kids. Great when they come and great when the go. hahahaha. I like hearing the tunes and not hearing them over the drone.

mikeski

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.