DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on getting a 7'' lift over the summer hopefully and I'm looking at the 37'' Nitto Mud Grapplers as my tire of choice. I am wondering:

a) because it is a bolt-on lift, would installing it myself be a good idea? I don't really have any experience with this stuff but I definitely want to learn as I go and have a few more experienced friends with tools willing to help.
b) with tires that big, should I upgrade my gears (I think I'm running the 3.55's, 1997 1500 4X4 5.2 V8) to either 3.92's or 4.10's? I will do some highway driving (maybe even a trip from Chicago to North Dakota where I go to school) and I don't tow anything, I'd just be lugging the 37''s around.
c) Has anyone else installed their own lift and can give me some pointers or have any pictures of the progress?
Also, any comments on this lift? yay or nay? (the 7'' slyjacker on the bottom)
http://www.jackit.com/dodge/pickups/4wd_1500_2500_94-02.html#7

Thanks a ton in advance

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Installing a big lift like that would be a pain without a lift in the garage. I'm pretty sure it could be done, but you would need some serious jeep-offroad hi lift jacks to do it. I would definately change the gears out with that much rubber and a smaller V-8. 4.10's would probably be a good choice. Ask around some more and get some more input!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm with Timmy i'd have it done...As for the rear gear I would switch to the 4.10 to pull 37's around...It takes a lot of pressure off of the Tranny with that larger gear and won't feel so doggy on take off....Which lift are you looking at? I just had the CST 7 inch lift put in 2 weeks ago....

·
Registered
176 Posts
At the very least you want 4.10 I would recemmond 4.56 with the 37" tires. That's wha im running and its perfect. As for installing the lift I think bolt on lifts are exactly that bolt on. With proper tools like mentioned a high lift jack, and you'll need a coil spring compress which you can get from checker or autozone(they rent them), and a level working surface and you should be fine. Just don't forget the alignment afterwards. That lift looks good though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for all of the input! I'll look at gears in the 4.10 and higher range and having it all professionally installed. One thing I just noticed though looking at the finer print of the lift is that it says the 1/2 ton is to the 2001 only? Is this lift still possible for me then

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. It's stating that the lift is for '94-01 1500 and '94-'02 2500. Dodge 2500 and 3500 2nd gen. went to 2002. The 1500 2nd gen. only went to 2001.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh okay I thanks for clearing that up I was maybe thinking they were only referencing to like the 2001 sport package possibly as the only 1500 that it would work for

1 - 7 of 7 Posts