DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been looking at Rams for several months now. Owned one years ago and liked it. Here's my dilema. I want to put a popup slide-in camper in the bed (preferably 4-Wheel Campers model) which weighs about 1700-1800 lbs loaded. That pretty much maxes out a 1500 payload from what I read. But some say Rams are conservative in their ratings.

So suggestions from y'all - have you carried campers on your 1500? Do you think I need to move up to 2500?

While wea re at it, I have to have gas engine. Anyone got real world figures on MPG with their 2500, loaded and not loaded? (Not hauling).

Would the 4 corner air suspension increase the payload?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would go for the 2500 simply because it would leave extra capacity in case you also wanted you haul a boat or perhaps switch to a full on camper or fifth wheel in the future.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
nothing increases the weight capacity legally, you have to go by the truck ratings. i would go with the 2500 6.4 engine. will you to up grade to a larger camper.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
3/4 ton. add in your weight, dry goods, water, etc. 3/4 ton. 1.2 tonw oudl need to have some serious money spent, just to get close to handling the weight, safely, and with new car pricing, cheaper to go with 3/4 ton, right out of the chute.

Like Huntergreen said above, nothing can increase your payload. Yes, you can add springs, Shocks, etc but unless you do a complete refurb, it is still a 1.2 ton. go with a 3.4 ton and don't worry about it.

Payload is like money, better to have too much and not need it, then not enough, when it is sorely needed.
Specially, when like your situation, you KNOW you will need it and how much. Why cut it close to, not enough?

Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger,

Interesting that you should recommend the 8 foot bed. I had been debating the bed size (with the quad cab, not the crew). I often go to small towns in Mexico where streets are narrow and people park willy-nilly. I sometimes have to turn into very obstructed parking lots. I was worried that the 8 foot bed would be too cumbersome. Have you not found it to be so? The reason I don't want a full-fledged RV is that I still want the flexibility to go everywhere. Will that extra 1.5 feet make that much of a difference in my mobility?

I see that the campers all offer more with the 8 foot options, so it is a real conundrum for me and I surely do appreciate your taking the time to answer me. When I am established in whatever I do, I will be able to pay it forward.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Camper would dictate stepping up to 3/4 ton. We had a 90s f-350 single rear axle with a camper growing up. I ended up stuffing the camper in my 1500 chevy for a camping trip, bad idea... The heavy duty suspension kept the sway in control. The difference isn't big at low speed, but high speed 55mph+ its massive. Never drove with the camper again on the road.

I would not stick one in my 1500 ram, 1200lbs of cement bags and a pot hole are not fun.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Well, I just traded away a 1999 2500 HD 4x4, V-10, Quad cab, long box. Pretty much what would fill your needs, without even noticing the camper insert. Not going to mislead you, Quad Cab, Club Cab, Super Cab, whatever they call them, nowadays, with the full 8ft box, are long trucks and need room to turn.

I went with a Crew Cab, 5.7" short box, which is about 9inches less, total length. My own guesstimate, not sure exact length difference. I will say, if it is so tight, that a 1.5ft of extra length, which a short box yields, makes that big difference, probably not wise driving even a regular cab short box, in that tight a spot.

I got rid of the quad cab , for a crew cab, because I flat out needed the extra interior space. I got the shortest box possible because I do NOT need this truck to act as my Dump-Moving-Cargo Truck. Got others for those jobs.

Reckon you need to decide which is most important, for you. More room in the cab, more room in the box and your camper living area, or ability to turn into extremely tight spaces.

Everything is a trade off.

Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for reply

Thanks Snacktime. That is real-world experience that is so very valuable. Thanks to everyone - giving up idea of 1/2 ton. It's 3/4 for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Dave

Very good illustration, Dave. Yes, it is all about tradeoffs and your experience certainly helps me understand the choices. I have decided against the longbox and now it is whether to go Quadcab or Crewcab. Almost there!

The idea of the camper was to give me more freedom in choosing where I wanted to go and if I limited those freedoms by making it too un-maneuverable, then I was defeating my own self.

Now trying to make the $ to buy either! Thanks again. Mike.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If I could do it over again, I'd go 2500 mega cab. That being said, I do LOVE my 1500 QC. It's just nice to have the extra room and capability if you need it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Very good illustration, Dave. Yes, it is all about tradeoffs and your experience certainly helps me understand the choices. I have decided against the longbox and now it is whether to go Quadcab or Crewcab. Almost there!

The idea of the camper was to give me more freedom in choosing where I wanted to go and if I limited those freedoms by making it too un-maneuverable, then I was defeating my own self.

Now trying to make the $ to buy either! Thanks again. Mike.
The 2500 crewcab with 6'4" box is ideal for me. Big enough to sleep on the floor in the back if needed, yet not too big for daily driving. Sits pretty high so it feels big, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
RayK, I am with you.

I've had regular cabs, quad cabs and now this Crew Cab. Will never have anything less, ever again. Regular cabs are fine but do not have much extra interior room. Quad cab allows for more interior storage and works great, for kids or short adults. Crew Cabs have even more interior storage and gives passengers, the most comfort.

While I'd like a full size box, I simply do not NEED it.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
gofishn.

Undecided if I want to put a camper on or go with an 5th wheel. Going with the 5th wheel would allow me to drop it off at a RV site and not tow it around while exploring and fishing. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all, the crew cab seems the best and the 2500 is enough truck. The long bed would be more of a PITA in small towns in Mexico than it would be worth. Y'all gave me some good food for thought and your experiences, so thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts