DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.6 hemi. I want to swap out the rear axle for a Dana 60 rear axle from a 2500. Can this be done and what will it take? I'm wanting to lift it and run larger tire for mild to heavy desert off reading. The front axles are being shaped out with ultimate IFS cv axles to handle larger tires and more power.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure of the exact process to bolt one in, but of course the gear ratio should be the same or very close to the front's, as you have probably already thought about. The brake calipers on the 2500 axle may need more fluid as they are likely bigger. Two different wheels may also be required for front and rear lug patterns. I would like to hear more about the swap when it's finished.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 1500 Axle is located by links and supported on Coil Springs. Do your Dana 60 equipped for this set-up or is it a Leaf Spring arrangement?

Converting over to the Links and Coils would involve fabricating all the brackets on the Axle or adapting the frame to handle Leaf Springs

The Chrysler C235 (long known as the 9 1/4) is a pretty robust axle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure of the exact process to bolt one in, but of course the gear ratio should be the same or very close to the front's, as you have probably already thought about. The brake calipers on the 2500 axle may need more fluid as they are likely bigger. Two different wheels may also be required for front and rear lug patterns. I would like to hear more about the swap when it's finished.
At this time it's just a thought. I haven't bought a rear axle yet. It is something that I'll do in time but nit anytime soon. Wanted to do some research first and get other ideas and opinions. But if I do start and decide to don't worry I'll be posting pics and posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1500 Axle is located by links and supported on Coil Springs. Do your Dana 60 equipped for this set-up or is it a Leaf Spring arrangement?

Converting over to the Links and Coils would involve fabricating all the brackets on the Axle or adapting the frame to handle Leaf Springs

The Chrysler C235 (long known as the 9 1/4) is a pretty robust axle
So the 9 1/4 you think could handle larger tires and more power? As far as fabrication goes that's not a problem. I haven't pull the trigger on a new or used rear axle yet. Wanted to learn the pros and cons and get some idies and opinions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts