DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

When the 'Change Oil' message appears on the dashboard, how soon should oil be changed? Within a week? Oi level is at the lower end of the 'Safe' indicator.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, that’s supposedly based on some chemical analysis of the engine oil that is done somewhere in the vehicle. BUT, I believe it’s simply based on the odometer, and a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

I’ve noticed that on a couple of our vehicles, every 1000 miles driven decreases the oil life by 10%.

In your instance, I’d say get it changed as soon as you’re able, since I think you already have 10,000 miles on that oil.

I have mine changed every 4000 miles, just as I have for the last 40+ years. I’ve never had any engine problems either, and that covers a lot of MOPAR and Jeep vehicles.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The manufactures have a algorithm built into that system. Mileage is certainly a base, but also start stop cycles, idle time, engine RPM tem lots of stuff. Would I worry about it seizing up? No but I would change it soon, like next weekend or so.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
This is what the manufacturer calls condition based service needs. The PCM does have an algorithm based on idle time, type of driver you are, aggressive or more laid back.
Please do yourself a favor and spend the money for more timely service. I have had my service shop since 2007, I have replaced more engines in the past 3 years than the previous 10 years. The majority of cars built today are very good. And will last a very long time. Manufacturers want to sell more cars, so they have changed the maintenance intervals, sort of a planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Tolerances are tighter in engines now so less room for dirt etc to get by. I dont think anyone is changing oil sooner for the most part. It is more condition promted. I just left for a trip in wifes 5.7 Durango, i had put a reminder sticker on windshield of mileage when changed. Happened to look at it a day or two befor leaving and 11k. Yikes I drove down and picked up synthetic oil and filter and wondered how did I go 11k without that thing flashing. After job was done I went to my records in my computer and oops 3400 since last change. Oh well fresh oil never hurt.
No set time line from when it comes on but sooner is better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all the great responses. Booked a service appointment for next Monday:)
Happy to join this forum. Quality and timely feedback...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

When the 'Change Oil' message appears on the dashboard, how soon should oil be changed? Within a week? Oi level is at the lower end of the 'Safe' indicator.

Thanks
I just changed the oil in my 2015 5.7L for the first time since I owned it. I was in touch with the previous owner and he used regular 5w-20 but changed it every 3000 miles religiously. I used Valvoline Synthetic 5w-20 and I'll change that again in 3500 miles. This is my first Ram 1500 pick up and I love it! The ride is nice and I was lucky enough to get the hemi engine. One more question though; does anybody know what bulb goes into that marker light underneath the mirrors and how to change it? I can't seem to find it in the manual. Thanks guys and gals, $Bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you $Bill.
They are good trucks, for sure. The infusion with European brands like Benz and Fiat has served Crysler well over the years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts