DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a notice in the mail for a 15K mile service from my local dealer. For once their estimate isn't too far off the mark on what my mileage is.

I normally will do my own oil changes (every ~5000 miles), using Mobil 1, and if I feel it's needed I'll rotate the tires, and check everything else out too. I've had no issues in the past.

Below is what they say is done in the 15K service:

Change oil/ filter, check windshield wipers/ washers
check drive train fluids, check parking brake adjustment
service automatic transmission, inspect steering rack & pinion,
inspect drive shaft boots, inspect brake linings,
check tire condition/ pressure, inspect coolant system & radiator,
inspect exhaust piping & mountings, check battery electrolyte level,
lubricate steering knuckle, lubricate chassis, steering & propeller shafts, inspect steering linkage, inspect ball joints & dust covers, inspect air filter, replace drain plug gasket, rotate tires, check door latches & hinges,
check drive belts & tension, check shocks & struts, check interior/ exterior lights, check all engine fluids, inspect cabin air filter.

I haven't noticed any issues. I know that my air filter probably needs replacing, and I have a few issues with one of my tires (hit a curb a while back and put in a nice slice in the sidewall).

They claim that I can get all of the above for $119.95 and does not include synthetic oil or HAZMAT fees. I guess is it worth the $$$$ to just let them do it? I'm sure they'll come up with something that needs to be done (they always do)

Exco

·
Registered
383 Posts
Service intervals are listed in the back of the owners manual. Mine shows service due at, 6k, 12k, 18k, 30k, 36, and so on.

Their price sounds cheap enough and should cover everything.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the price wasn't too bad. I figure the transmission service should run somewhere around $50, the oil change would normally be about $40-$50, so it's not really that much more to check everything else...

I'll probably make an appointment and get it done, it'll save me a little be of hassle of doing it myself.

Exco

·
Registered
151 Posts
love it they check the never stalled "cabin air filter" this is not on the 2010 rams... it's a mod, but that's the only way you'll have it. it sounds like a ok price to me also

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love it they check the never stalled "cabin air filter" this is not on the 2010 rams... it's a mod, but that's the only way you'll have it.
I didn't add that the cabin air filter also had "if equipped" just as they Lubricate chassis, steering & propeller shafts had "if applicable"

I guess they wanted to cover all of the bases, it being a generic letter and all

Exco

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I wouldnt pay them that kind of money for what they`re advertising to you.
Thats nothing more than a glorified lube oil filter job where i`m at. ($60 bucks tops)
Service the transmission...??? I dont think so... not needed till 60,000 last time i heard.
I would bet $100 bucks they aren`t checking all they say they are either.
I would stand right there and walk thru everything with them while they do the job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wouldnt pay them that kind of money for what they`re advertising to you.
Thats nothing more than a glorified lube oil filter job where i`m at. ($60 bucks tops)
Service the transmission...??? I dont think so... not needed till 60,000 last time i heard.
I would bet $100 bucks they aren`t checking all they say they are either.
I would stand right there and walk thru everything with them while they do the job.
BINGO....WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!!

a dealer is always hoping to bend you over...........:Wow1::SHOCKED::LOL:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On further reflection, I've decided to not have the dealer rape me. I'm just gonna do the work myself. I know that it's done correctly, and I know what's going into the crank case.

I'm pretty sure I can do all of the inspecting, and according to my service manual, most of what they're wanting to check isn't even due.

so I'm off to Wally World to buy some oil, then to the auto parts store to get a filter

Exco

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know that it's done correctly, and I know what's going into the crank case.
I'm the same way, it's a little work with big rewards IMO. I know the techs are well trained but I have never seen a tech doing basic maintenance! From what I have seen dealerships hire pretty much anyone to do oil changes and other basics.

I know a lot of people don't like Wal-Mart but if your going to use a shop to have your oil changed the people at Wal-Mart go through more training than you think and everything done in their shop is on video....if they screw it up they will pay to have it fixed!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I agree do it yourself. Most of that generic letter is just "inspecting" which you can open the hood and do in about 30 seconds. Then crawl under the truck and inspect for 30 seconds. Everything at that mileage should be fine. Don't do the trans service at 15k miles that's crazy. It's not needed until like 50-60k miles like said above, and that's harsh conditions/extreme conditions. Just do the oil and make sure everything looks ok. Even the air filter is probably fine...

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Walmart carries Mobile One, 5 quart jug for $30, that is where i get mine also
Costco charges almost the same
Auto Parts stores charge $40 for that identical jug

I also buy my Wix, Napa, Carquest oil filters on sale from Auto Parts stores, i watch for sales

Servicing the Transmission at an early date/mileage is silly, & it costs a bunch for the fluid, & 2 transmission filters, i waited until 40,000 miles & then i changed to Royal Purple & 2 Mopar filters, that they delivered to the Dyno Shop that does most of my major service

I am at 3 year, 61,000 miles now, time for fluid changes on Power Steering, Brakes, & Coolant

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walmart carries Mobile One, 5 quart jug for $30,

I guess there is a bit of a price difference between Louisiana and California.. LOL I got my Mobile 1 5 qt jug for only $26.48, which is up from the $23 that I paid last time :wow:

Exco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts