DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a few concerns. My mpg is 16 on a 130 mile trip highway and 9/10 in city (done out by hand). Is this happening to anyone or did it, and how did they fix the problem?

Also, looking to get a Cold air intake, or a programmer. Which one will give me the best mpg increase? Anyone who has either, comment with what you are running and if you can saw a difference. Will be much appreciated.

Nice to be apart of the forumz, Zack

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats what I've always seen from mine:4-dontknow:.
I got 33" All Terain's, DiabloSport set on 91 oct & K&N CAI with flowmasters. What did it use to be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I've always seen from mine:4-dontknow:.
I got 33" All Terain's, DiabloSport set on 91 oct & K&N CAI with flowmasters. What did it use to be?
I have only had the truck since the end of october, and its been around 10 city. I don't drive on the highway much but that was the mpg when i did

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive got the 4.7 but the same thing happened to me, the installation of a CAI and exhaust didnt drop it but it changed after a long desert trip and new 33'' tires. My mpg's went from 16 to 11 over the course of two weeks

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Can't really help with with the fuel problem but I can offer a little advice on the programmer. I would think a programmer would yield better mileage and power returns than the CAI. I had a Superchips on my 4.7L and saw a roughly 3 MPG increase, give or take. Problem is, you have to run higher octane with the tune so it might not actually be worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can't really help with with the fuel problem but I can offer a little advice on the programmer. I would think a programmer would yield better mileage and power returns than the CAI. I had a Superchips on my 4.7L and saw a roughly 3 MPG increase, give or take. Problem is, you have to run higher octane with the tune so it might not actually be worth it.
I agree, although I myself don't have a programmer, I do have a CAI and its performance is pretty minimal. Jumped up maybe one MPG (16-17) on the highway but I get roughly 15 MPG in the city. I have friends who have diablosports and love them though and have debated getting one myself. I think with the tuner you get better bang for your buck (potentially) since it also adds power while making the engine more efficient. You could check your tire pressure or see if your MPG changes while running with the a/c off.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
In my experience, none of items you listed are likely to help much in the MPG department, mainly because to the increase in the 'Fun' department. :wow:

When I first installed my tuner, I noticed an increase in MPG until I developed a problem with my right foot. Apparently since it doesn't pay the gas bill, it is enjoying the 'performance' benefits of the tuner, and has little to no regard for the financial aspect of this 'fun'. Installing the muffler and CAI has only seemed to benefit Mr. Right Foot, as he no longer listens to the financial adviser at all. I am concerned as to how much greater this issue will become after the new throttle body is installed in the spring. :str:

Mr. Right Foot is a problem, and as long as you can keep him reined, then you will likely receive MPG benefits from your choices. Good luck with Mr. Right Foot. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been seeing the same for my truck. It dropped down to 6-7 mpg on base before I made some mods (exhaust, tune, and cai) now I'm getting 10-11 on base, 11-14 in town, 17-19 highway. Plus I'm using the mds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, i have another question. Is there a difference between programmer and chip??? what is it and which ones better for everyday driving, MPG and performance, more mpg efficiency :/

·
Registered
127 Posts
i mange to limp mine down the highway at 18-19 with nice smooth transitions, i can get 12 in town again if babying it. if i ONLY drove in the city thought i wouldn't be surprised to see 9-10.. i'm going with the diablo sport, magnaflow, and a CAI...to answer your question, you can pick and choose parameters on a programmer...read codes and such....the chip simply plugs in and changes things to its preset settings. programmers have alot more functions, most come with several tunes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this may be a really stupid question and i am guessing they only make chips, but is that really all superchips make? also, do i have to update software for my truck or is it set to my truck and i plug it in and answer some questions?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Lol, that's a little confusing. Some people use the terms chip, tuner, and programmer interchangeably even though they aren't the same. As someone said earlier, a chip just plugs into your factory OBD port and communicates with your computer to alter certain parameters. There are probably several units out there but one of the most well known chips is probably the Jet chip. The only advantage is that it is cheaper than a programmer/tuner.

Programmer or tuner usually refers to a handheld device that connects to your OBD port and alters your on-board computer and engine parameters. Programmers are much more sophisticated and offer many more options. I would venture to say any quality programmer is superior to even the best chip out there.

That being said, Superchips actually doesn't make chips. I think maybe they used to but now they only make handheld programmers. Superchips and Diablosport are probably the two biggest, most popular programmers for our vehicles and would likely yield similar results.

And lastly, the programs for handheld tuners are revised occassionally and the current version can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website onto your device and then uploaded to your truck. Some vehicles require an update be installed prior to loading a tune and these updates can normally be installed the same way. If an update is needed, the programmer will tell you. If not, it will simply allow you to load the tune right out of the gate.

Reactions: THasse

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, that's a little confusing. Some people use the terms chip, tuner, and programmer interchangeably even though they aren't the same. As someone said earlier, a chip just plugs into your factory OBD port and communicates with your computer to alter certain parameters. There are probably several units out there but one of the most well known chips is probably the Jet chip. The only advantage is that it is cheaper than a programmer/tuner.

Programmer or tuner usually refers to a handheld device that connects to your OBD port and alters your on-board computer and engine parameters. Programmers are much more sophisticated and offer many more options. I would venture to say any quality programmer is superior to even the best chip out there.

That being said, Superchips actually doesn't make chips. I think maybe they used to but now they only make handheld programmers. Superchips and Diablosport are probably the two biggest, most popular programmers for our vehicles and would likely yield similar results.

And lastly, the programs for handheld tuners are revised occassionally and the current version can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website onto your device and then uploaded to your truck. Some vehicles require an update be installed prior to loading a tune and these updates can normally be installed the same way. If an update is needed, the programmer will tell you. If not, it will simply allow you to load the tune right out of the gate.
thank you, cleared a lot of questions up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing that no one has commented on is that you are running bigger tires, that is going to cut into your mgp's too. Your pushing more down the highway and with an aggressive tread pattern you have more resistance and friction. I noticed that when I put on some Michelin ATs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A programmer/tuner plugs into your OBDII port, like previously stated. However, a chip refers to the older technology in vehicles, where you had a removable board, or chip, in your engine computer. You would write a new chip, and remove the factory chip from your engine computer and physically replace it. For the newer vehicles, Jetchips are a piggyback that goes inline between the pcm and harness and alters the signals going to the computer. Programmers do the same thing as chips, but with newer computers, you don't have to pull the chip. You rewrite the factory one while it is in the vehicle, using your OBDII port.

- Christopher

·
Registered
6 Posts
Own a 2012 1500 V8 Hemi w factory dual exhaust. I had a significant increase in gas milage when i instaled a K&N air intake. A few days latter i am seeing a significant decrease in gas milage after installing a 18" Mufflex retrofit muffler. I dont know why. Thinking its the muffler....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Starquest- Rep points for that description.
For the discussion, I've always believed that for mpg's the programmer i.e. diablosport or superchips is the place to begin, this will help the truck to fine-tune it and maximize anything you do later especially. That's where i would start. It's been a huge debate from day one. On the 3rd gens I know that there's a bad pinch point in the exhaust where the 2 pipes Y together in front of the muffler. 30 bucks on ebay and you can get a better one to throw in there, this should help a little bit, followed by a free-er flowing exhaust. I would do the intake and exhaust at the same time though, you can get more in, but it's gotta get out somehow and same vice versa. That's just my 2 cents. it's all about how much you're willing to spend to save some bucks...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Something I have read on other forums is to disconnect your battery and turn the key to start then off 3 times and then reconnect your battery, any time you make a change to your engine system. This apparently bleeds off any residual voltage on the pcm and forces the pcm back to its original firmware state and allows it to relearn and redo ongoing running setups from the base setting. Case in point. My son's 2001 Dakota failed an e-test and it was putting too much raw fuel into the system. The truck had new cats,o2 sensors ,plugs, wires and cap within the last year. We did the reset and with no other intervention took the truck back for it's second e-test and not just the faulty one improved but all readings went down by a substantial amount. My son was amased and the tech that had done both tests asked him what parts he had changed to get it to the new readings. My son just smiled and said "it passed".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mean it really depends on what product you go with for each. I have heard a lot about the DiabloSports from a few of my buddies that have them. They love the added performance, but as Brad said, it is tough to keep our right foot in check. When I first bought my truck I put in a Spectre CAI because I wanted a CAI and it was cheap. Waste of money to be honest. The intake pipe is made of aluminum so as your engine bay heats up, so does the pipe which heats up the air in the pipe, nixing the advantages of having a cold air intake.
The Spectre got stolen out of my truck while I was parked at work a couple months ago and I found a great deal for a Volant, so I went ahead and bought it on a whim. BOY what a difference! The throttle response is absolutely ridiculous and the added torque and horsepower makes it real difficult to keep your right foot at bay, but if you can, it makes a pretty decent difference. I average 18-19 on the highway, and 12 in the city as opposed to the 16 on the highway and 9-10 in the city I was previously getting. So I guess my suggestion is whichever option you choose, make sure you buy quality because it pays for itself in the long run. Hope that helped a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts

I would get about 150-200km more on a tank for high octane to regular, it almost works out to cost about the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts