DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my 16 Outdoorsman seems to sit a little higher then other RAM's, and with a little research the Outdoorsman has a little different suspension. So with that said, I'm wanting to level it with some Bilstein's, should i set them at the 2.8 setting to get the level look?? On my Express I set them at the setting below the 2.8 (I cant remeber 2.5?) and it looked good IMO.
It had some rake still, but not like the stock rake, it was very minimal.
Any input appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Outdoorsman comes with Bilsteins set at 0.7 IIRC. If yours were one notch below 2.8 then they were at 2.1; Bils adjust in 0.7" increments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outdoorsman comes with Bilsteins set at 0.7 IIRC. If yours were one notch below 2.8 then they were at 2.1; Bils adjust in 0.7" increments
They do??? Hmm, Ill have to look at them. So I could get away with just replacing the front shocks/struts so it sit's level?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
They may not be actual Bilsteins (they are listed as HD shocks), but if you buy 4600s which are the "non-adjustable" shock then they actually have 2 settings: regular and TRX height-which is 0.7" taller. The TRX4 is what the Outdoorsman was called before it was the Outdoorsman

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
If you went with the OEM trailer brake controller, then yes, you'd have to get the dealer to flash the sales code in. If you went with an aftermarket one, then you would not need a flash.

I do recommend the OEM. It looks cleaner, works well from what I've heard lol, and you get the features enabled in the center EVIC. I didn't have it on my 2015 Express but was planning on adding it. Got a 2017 Big Horn instead that already has it. :smileup:

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
I'd like to soften my ride a little bit on my 16 outdoorsman. But don't want to lose the payload for the front end since I plow.
Yea, I think that just comes with the territory of a 2500. I've driven 2500's with the 5.7, 6.4 and 6.7, all 2016's coincidentally. The one with the 5.7 seemed to have the harshest ride. I suspect that was due to it also having the smallest/lightest engine. I thought the one with the 6.7 rode the best.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I'd like to soften my ride a little bit on my 16 outdoorsman. But don't want to lose the payload for the front end since I plow.
You probably already adjusted it, but make sure your tire pressure isn't at the high end of the ratings. IIRC, 50-55 psi was good and didn't upset the TPMS.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You probably already adjusted it, but make sure your tire pressure isn't at the high end of the ratings. IIRC, 50-55 psi was good and didn't upset the TPMS.
I'd like to go around 60 but my tire salesperson said don't go lower than 70. Said it was bad for the steel belts in the tires.?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that was it, I couldn't remember....so with that said, if they are at 0.7 from the factory, I should set the new set at 2.8 to get the level look correct?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
IMHO 2.8 looks nose high-an OD will sit the same as all the other trims, you are just starting at 0.7 so I'd still go with 2.1

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK thanks for the input!!!
Plan on doing the front first then the rear.....money dont grow on trees lol
I also have set of wheels and tires coming.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes that was it, I couldn't remember....so with that said, if they are at 0.7 from the factory, I should set the new set at 2.8 to get the level look correct?
I have a 2016 Outdoorsman set at 2.8 in the front and 3/4 inch coil spacers in the rear. The truck is pretty level, maybe a smidge nose high, it just depends on where its parked and what angle you look at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts