DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently swapped out my muffler for the 18" mufflex (magnaflow) on my 2018 2500 with the 5.7. I scoured all over the internet (forums, YouTube, etc.) before doing so, although found little content on the 5.7 in the HD Rams. From what I did find, most said no drone. I'm here to tell you, the drone from around 1400-2000 rpms is insane! It sounds great under 1400 and while on the throttle. Now it's only been on for about 200 miles, so I'm trying to force myself to run it for 800-1,000 miles to break it in and see if it changes. Anybody else have this issue? I left the stock tailpipe with resonator thinking that would avoid the drone. After all, that was what drew me to the Mufflex. Most said no drone, but those were either HD's with the 6.4 or 1500's with the 5.7. I don't how long I can take it. I may pull it and go back to stock. Just curious on others thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a strong feeling that is the case. As long as it lightens up some, I can probably get used to it. My family uses the truck as our family rig, so am just hoping it becomes tolerable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You get used to it so much that there are only a few times that its noticeable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You get used to it so much that there are only a few times that its noticeable.
That's fair. I appreciate the feedback. I have previous experience with Cherrybomb mufflers on different makes, and Borla catbacks on the 1500's without the drone, so it just really caught me off guard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A Borla system is the cure, but bring money. The dual "header-back" for a 5.7L is over $2 grand now, but it's all top-grade stainless. Nice sound accelerating, quiet cruise, but man it costs! You keep the little OEM pre-cats but you get new cat-cons x-pipe, the whole deal. I'm not certain if you can do a Hemi in your driveway. I don't think you can. With help, you could do a Magnum system in the driveway, but it wasn't easy on a Ram or my Dakota (5.2L). The Borla keeps the PCM happy too and didn't throw "bad O2 sensor" codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew I was cheaping out with the Mufflex, but just got done with leveling/lift, shocks, wheels and tires, dual steering stabilizer, steering brace, front and rear adjustable track bars, ProCal, and a few other subtle changes. Was trying to give her a throatier sound to match the stance without breaking the bank!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Borla system is the cure, but bring money. The dual "header-back" for a 5.7L is over $2 grand now, but it's all top-grade stainless. Nice sound accelerating, quiet cruise, but man it costs! You keep the little OEM pre-cats but you get new cat-cons x-pipe, the whole deal. I'm not certain if you can do a Hemi in your driveway. I don't think you can. With help, you could do a Magnum system in the driveway, but it wasn't easy on a Ram or my Dakota (5.2L). The Borla keeps the PCM happy too and didn't throw "bad O2 sensor" codes.
Really contemplated a Borla system, but was afraid it was going to be louder than I was aiming for, plus could only find it for the 6.4L. I know it only requires a reducer, but was being cheap and attempting to avoid the hassle. We will see. I may change it out later on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've recently swapped out my muffler for the 18" mufflex (magnaflow) on my 2018 2500 with the 5.7. I scoured all over the internet (forums, YouTube, etc.) before doing so, although found little content on the 5.7 in the HD Rams. From what I did find, most said no drone. I'm here to tell you, the drone from around 1400-2000 rpms is insane! It sounds great under 1400 and while on the throttle. Now it's only been on for about 200 miles, so I'm trying to force myself to run it for 800-1,000 miles to break it in and see if it changes. Anybody else have this issue? I left the stock tailpipe with resonator thinking that would avoid the drone. After all, that was what drew me to the Mufflex. Most said no drone, but those were either HD's with the 6.4 or 1500's with the 5.7. I don't how long I can take it. I may pull it and go back to stock. Just curious on others thoughts/experience.
mine was so load cops following me ! so did a inline resonator pipe put on now sounds like my old corvette !

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with 5.7. I contemplated when I wanted to change the muffler. I ended up going with a flow-master knock off chambered type muffler. I left everything in tact and swapped the muffler only. I dont think there is any drone I notice any worse than before. But it is 4wd and AT tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I understand budgets! I loved the Borla on my Dakota that got killed, but I don't know what one on a Hemi would sound like. My 2011 Hemi sounds like you stuck a potato up the pipe, even WOT getting on the expressway. When an if I go thru the OEM system, I'll look at a Borla. I plan for this Ram to be may last vehicle. Looks like it's gonna work out too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Borla catback exhaust in the Touring edition (the most quiet of the 3 types). I purchased it from Summit for around $1,200 and installed it myself. Easy install, million dollar sound, and NO DRONE! I also have a Borla catback S type (sport type) on my wife’s SRT Charger. It has a little drone when mds kicks in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've owned three Rams; 2000, 2004, 2013. I tried Magnaflow, piece of crap, the welds split at both ends and the drone was way over excessive. Borla was a little better but still some drone with the stock resonators. Two weeks ago I installed a Carven, no drone at all at cruising speed. Check them out at American Trucks. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts