DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got approx. 7500 Kilometers and getting close to my first oil change. Should I go synthetic next or wait another change or two before I do - the dealer says wait but...??
AND my headlights are way off - I see a couple of holes in the fender with big arrows pointing at them embossed into the metal holes, under the hood edge and a foot or so up from the headlight units - do these provide access to adjustment screws and if so which one does what adjustment?
Thanks -Kevin

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You can go to synthetic whenever you want; there are some pervasive myths about synthetic oil propagated by people who don't know what they are talking about.

Those are the holes to adjust headlight height-the ones with the arrows pointing to them. Don't get too crazy or you can strip out the adjustment. I can't remember what size torx bit it takes

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm like Thunderhorse here, not exactly sure but the torx is either a T20 or T25 to adjust the headlights and yes the adjustment screw is through the hole with the arrow. With level ground, mark on a wall the center of your headlights, back the truck up 25ft and the brightest pait of the beam should be 2-3 inches lower than center.

I switched to full synthetic on my first oil change at 5000km because I was getting a tick on startup after sitting a couple days. I have no more ticking due to oil, just ticks now under acceleration because of broken manifold bolts, which you should also be prepared for because of Canadian winters and engine heat.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Same here, go synthetic... your dealer is full of shit... which is nothing new with dealers.
I changed mine at 5,000 miles. Pennzoil synthetic 5w20. Mobil1 synthetic oil filter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can put whatever you want in it. For me I'll stick with the conventional and save $$. My 09 had 175K trouble free miles on bulk dino oil

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
5k typically
You should be fine with that as long as its working ok for you, as the lubes & filters today are so much better than they use to be. I like the synthetic oils myself, they make the engine a little happier in my own opinion. I seem to get a little bit better MPG with synthetic oil too. I use to use the reg oils, until i tried synthetic oil, the famous hemi tick went away in my old 07 charger. So i`ve used synthetic lubes ever since, and i`ve never had that hemi tic issue ever again. I like the pennzoil synthetic... seems to do really well for me. I think i`m spending right around $40 to $45 bucks @ 8k miles for my oil changes, oil filter included. I do my own oil changes, so thats saving me a little cash too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - I've got close to 8ooo kms (4800 miles) on it so I'll probably go with Mobil and a good Wix filter for it.. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Thanks guys - I've got close to 8ooo kms (4800 miles) on it so I'll probably go with Mobil and a good Wix filter for it.. Much appreciated!
I would use pennzoil synthetic if it were my truck. Everytime i`ve used mobil oil in past hemi`s, they began to started puffing blue smoke on first start-up`s cold.
Since switching to pennzoil, my cold start blue smoke problems went away, as well as the famous hemi ticking lifters. Your money, your truck, your decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts