DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my issue.

Took the ram out to the track this past friday made a few passes, now heres the issue I'm having.

On the previous friday in a similar DA and temp the truck ran in the 14.45 range with the stock air box.

Added the Vararam (only change made to the truck since last track outting) and it ended up running close to the same numbers. Now they claim it will gain 3 tenths minimum in the 1/4 however I am not personally seeing these gains. Anyone possibly know why?

After reviewing the data logs the logs show that the MAP KPA was pretty similar with the stock intake (around 95-96) at WOT, the vararam did increase kpa by about 1 but not enough to really mention.

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great or point me in a direction to what maybe the issue. I've seen several members here post that they saw gains at the track so I'm sure it is something I am over looking or possibly doing wrong because it is driving me bat Sh%t crazy. :confused: :wtf2:

TIA

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The stock air box on these trucks is a cold air intake; actually since they are a closed box they let in less hot air than a lot of aftermarket CAIs, and its not very restrictive.

I know a lot of guys swear by Vararam but I just don't see air getting pulled in from on top of the engine (i.e. heat source) being any colder than air getting pulled in from behind the passenger side headlight.

You ain't getting 3/10s from an air intake, Maybe with a tune and headers, but that'll mostly be the tune

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
It's performing as normal. It's just an intake after all and the computer will just tune around it and give you more mpg instead of power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock air box on these trucks is a cold air intake; actually since they are a closed box they let in less hot air than a lot of aftermarket CAIs, and its not very restrictive.

I know a lot of guys swear by Vararam but I just don't see air getting pulled in from on top of the engine (i.e. heat source) being any colder than air getting pulled in from behind the passenger side headlight.

You ain't getting 3/10s from an air intake, Maybe with a tune and headers, but that'll mostly be the tune

I understand, honestly I bought it because...well I think it looks cool if nothing else and looks better than the stock box, however seeing some gains would have been nice for the price tag. I was pretty skeptical about seeing 3/10ths in the 1/4 with it realistically maybe 1/10th wouldn't be out of the question. Now with that said I will say that my IAT's are MUCH lower now than ever were with the stock air box. Just has me stumped how some are able to prove the gains via a time slip comparison on the same day at the track. Oh well

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's performing as normal. It's just an intake after all and the computer will just tune around it and give you more mpg instead of power.
I was assuming it would adjust, I've tuned the truck pretty well with everything considered the truck ran 14.9 stock and is now in the 14.40's with either the stock air box or the vararam.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
This proves, what I'm preaching all the time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This proves, what I'm preaching all the time. Thanks for sharing.
:smileup: Anything to help HAHA!
In theory I could see how this design could be an improvement over stock at a given speed and that may be about it.
Now I have found by searching around the front of the truck that the AGS grill at the top might interfere with air flow to the actual piece that forces the air upward into the intake itself causing a sort of turbulence in the area do to the shape of the top of the AGS grill forces the air in a downward motion at that point. (On my truck I have removed the AGS shutters completely, but I put the grill back in place once I removed all the shutters themselves.)
I plan on doing some cutting on this piece in the upcoming week to see if possibly it is causing an issue, but I highly doubt that it is causing much if any issue what so ever.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
:smileup: Anything to help HAHA!
In theory I could see how this design could be an improvement over stock at a given speed and that may be about it.
Now I have found by searching around the front of the truck that the AGS grill at the top might interfere with air flow to the actual piece that forces the air upward into the intake itself causing a sort of turbulence in the area do to the shape of the top of the AGS grill forces the air in a downward motion at that point. (On my truck I have removed the AGS shutters completely, but I put the grill back in place once I removed all the shutters themselves.)
I plan on doing some cutting on this piece in the upcoming week to see if possibly it is causing an issue, but I highly doubt that it is causing much if any issue what so ever.

I understand your approach. The problem is, that a Ram- Air system is great for vehicles and motorcycles in high speed. And many don't even have a real Ram Air System and most channels are fake.
Ram air works in a way, that the air pressure at high speed has to be faster than the air getting sucked out from the box. therefore you install to the front channels which catching this air to create in the air box a overpressure instead of vacuum and therefore a "turbo-effect" to overcome the self restriction due to lack of air coming in fast enough, making it possible to have the kick to get a little bit faster.
If you know this, you understand, that this does absolutely nothing to acceleration on a track, as you will never reach the speed needed to get the effect. I had it on my bike and it worked at speeds beyond 120mph.
With other words- you can do, what ever you want, it will not increase the acceleration from 0-60 or 1/4 mile, as you will never reach the speed- and if, too late.
I hope it helped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand your approach. The problem is, that a Ram- Air system is great for vehicles and motorcycles in high speed. And many don't even have a real Ram Air System and most channels are fake.
Ram air works in a way, that the air pressure at high speed has to be faster than the air getting sucked out from the box. therefore you install to the front channels which catching this air to create in the air box a overpressure instead of vacuum and therefore a "turbo-effect" to overcome the self restriction due to lack of air coming in fast enough, making it possible to have the kick to get a little bit faster.
If you know this, you understand, that this does absolutely nothing to acceleration on a track, as you will never reach the speed needed to get the effect. I had it on my bike and it worked at speeds beyond 120mph.
With other words- you can do, what ever you want, it will not increase the acceleration from 0-60 or 1/4 mile, as you will never reach the speed- and if, too late.
I hope it helped.
I completely agree and you are correct I'll never see in a 1/4 the amount of speeds to really benefit I believe. But at this point its on the truck and if anything trimming the AGS will at least open up some area from above where the motor mounts to the grill ( it looks a little weird with the shutters removed). Whether or not it does anything and I am sure it probably won't I'm all about tinkering with things and in a way modifying things just because I have nothing else to do.

Thanks for everyones input!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Air doesn't come in from behind the radiator so AGS isn't affecting IATs. When they are closed they decrease wind resistance on the truck

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Air doesn't come in from behind the radiator so AGS isn't affecting IATs. When they are closed they decrease wind resistance on the truck

There you go.
100% correct. If you want a real Ram Air effect, you need to route the pipe around it to the front and as straight as possible. every turn takes pressure away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I need to clarify. I have no AGS anymore I put a delete kit on it and removed all the shutters a while back and just put the mounting grill back on so i didn't have to zip tie the ags motor to the core support and it look tacky. As for the wind resistance I have seen zero gains or losses at highway speeds in mileage since the delete.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was assuming it would adjust, I've tuned the truck pretty well with everything considered the truck ran 14.9 stock and is now in the 14.40's with either the stock air box or the vararam.
What tuning have you done? I thought they had not cracked the 18' ECU's yet...

Look forward to hearing what you have done... .5 seconds is great to shave off the 1/4

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/QUOTE]

What tuning have you done? I thought they had not cracked the 18' ECU's yet...

Look forward to hearing what you have done... .5 seconds is great to shave off the 1/4[/QUOTE]

I am using Hptuners they have a smart access cable that plugs into the secruity gate way.
As for tuning I did a custom tune of my own with some help of a family member. As of now the only thing we have touched is added quite a bit more fuel at wot, and made some slight adjustments to the trans tune. I am still running stock timing for now until I have the bolt ons I want on. And even then the timing wont move much as the hemis do not like alot of timing. The goal is to keep it on 89 octane fuel, keep it safe and run in the mid to upper 13s in a 1/4

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
But there is a solution to get your Ram Air project going- install an active scoop on top of your hood- that'll do it. you have the sport- you could basically use your 2 fake inlets to connect the hoses to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But there is a solution to get your Ram Air project going- install an active scoop on top of your hood- that'll do it. you have the sport- you could basically use your 2 fake inlets to connect the hoses to.
I have actually contemplate doing this haven't seen any really solid reviews though

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

Mopar does offer a functional CAI kit that uses the Sport hood nostrils. Just like the 70 Challenger hood its modeled after.

But again, I wouldn't be under any illusion that its going to get me a performance increase

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Mopar does offer a functional CAI kit that uses the Sport hood nostrils. Just like the 70 Challenger hood its modeled after.

But again, I wouldn't be under any illusion that its going to get me a performance increase

As I said- it would, if the requirements would be in the planned range, which they are not.
Ram Air systems only work at high speed, which is off the track in real life conditions obsolete.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whether or not the vararam has picked anything up in the way of power is TBD until I can get some dyno time. Regardless, now that I have cooled the wife off about how much it cost vs the gains that didn't exist :poopstorm: I am overall happy with it, it throws a very retro look to the engine bay and does free up quite a bit of space on the passenger side of the compartment.

I did find the mopar ram air system that utilizes the one vent but I don't think that is quite for me. Now that's not to say that I do not have plans in the near future for removing those vents and taking a dremel tool to them and actually having air flow through them into the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts