DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Mike and I need help with my 82 Dodge Ram 1500. It totally shut down at a stop light and would not start. There is a wire burned out that stops the entire harness from burning but still registers as a short but I am unable to find the short even after disconnecting all other possibilities ie trailer lights,door lights etc.Any help or a wiring diagram would be very helpful. Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a similar problem (see post above yours). I replaced the burned fusible link with a fuse holder and a 25 amp fuse. The spark control unit was the culprit with a direct short to ground. Replaced that and it ran for 6 months and is now again blowing fuses. Now it doesn't blow until after the truck runs for a few minutes. I think this one may be in the harness somewhere. I have twelve volts on both sides of the fuse holder with the fuse out. In any case I would recommend getting a fuse holder and wiring it in place of the burned wire. If nothing else it helps with the troubleshooting. The spark control module is expensive and where I finally got it the place has only 1 left. Good luck.

P.S. Don't bother opening the module. It is not repairable because the whole board is covered in a 1/2 inch of clear material.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing Mike. After you wire in the fuse holder, check for grounds opposite the battery end of the holder, that is how I found my problem. Kept disconnecting things until the ground went away (again, spark control module). You can get them at any auto store. Its is a rubber body that accepts the fuse with a wire attached at both ends. Waterproof too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts