DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1984 RamCharger 4x4 with a 318. I really would like to swap to a 440 but I am open to any ideas.

It runs good, drove it 90 miles to my house from the previous owners house.
It needs a new steering shaft and box, it needs a whole brake system overhaul, It has minor body damage, It needs a new passenger seat lift mechanism.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This sounds like a fun project! As far as the enginge goes... the bigger the better right?
:smileup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried cranking it last weekend and it wouldnt turn over, the starter works, the coil is giving power but there is no spark. Ima do a quick tune this weekend then I'll start on the steering.

I don't think the owners before me ever changed the cap and rotor, but they claim they did a recent tune up. we will see...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the rotor and cap, now I need a new carb!!!

I am really not Carburetor friendly, I am more of a throttle body kinda guy. I will try to take a closer look at it and see if I can figure something out.

Anybody in GA selling a late 60s early 70s 440???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it running!!! Now i gotta work on the steering column and what not...anybody have a 1984 ramcharger or similar year?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't know if you still check this thread or not, but I just bought a 87 Ramcharger and have been researching things to help with the play in my steering. It looks like Borgesson makes a steering shaft that is suppose to cure the dodge steering ills for good. They have a rag joint version and a double spline one. Kind of pricy, but might be worth it in the grand scheme you know? Congrats on the Ramcharger purchase.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Where's the update? Pics and what else needs to be done?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Napa sell the rebuild kit, kinda spendy for the bell part that the slider is in......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts