DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forums here. I recently purchased a 1990 Dodge Ram W150. Since I have had it, the passenger window has never rolled down, and the driver's side window only has worked on occasion. Recently the window had been working more consistently, rolling up and down when I needed it to. Occasionally I would have to beat on the door to get it to work, but it would eventually work. It always seemed like it would struggle to go up but go down easily. One day I rolled it down on my way home, and it wouldn't go back up. I have done some troubleshooting myself and came to the conclusion that it is the window motor, but Dodge did not make it easy to replace it. So my question here is, is there any easy way to replace the motor? Keep in mind that the window is still down, and I have not found a way to get it up. If there is another thread on this topic, please direct me there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Can't get it up? Dang man, don't know if I'd have told that!

Easy? Change the door.

Seriously? Pull the door panel and remove the window motor. No other way to do it. You can then lift the window, and it will remain up due to a spring assist that is built in. Now, this is not secure, as you can roll it down by simply pushing it down, but at least it won't get rained in. You could prop a 2x4 under the mechanism in the door to prevent opening. The fix is to bolt in a new motor. If, when you remove the motor, the window slams down, you have a broken spring, but this isn't usually an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't get it up? Dang man, don't know if I'd have told that!

Easy? Change the door.

Seriously? Pull the door panel and remove the window motor. No other way to do it. You can then lift the window, and it will remain up due to a spring assist that is built in. Now, this is not secure, as you can roll it down by simply pushing it down, but at least it won't get rained in. You could prop a 2x4 under the mechanism in the door to prevent opening. The fix is to bolt in a new motor. If, when you remove the motor, the window slams down, you have a broken spring, but this isn't usually an issue.
Lol, thank you sir. I am about to go on vacation for a week, so it may be a little bit before I get to it. Ill try and keep you posted. Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts