DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post
I have a 1991 D150 318
I’ve been going through hell the past month or so. I purchased it from the original owner and he let me know that it sat for about 5 years.

I got it running and was using it Daly
Well all the little monsters started to reveal themselves so one by one I would knock it out and sure enough something else would go bad. So right around Christmas I decided I would dive in and pep her up a bit. I cammed it (nothing big, very mild) new timing chain, headers and some other goodies
Also while in there I cleaned up the heads and put all new gaskets.
she started up and I timed her by ear do to the fact I had not yet purchased a timing light but still she would idle which I was able to work out the little things
Now I have the timing light and she will not start. About a week ago it would start I would have to pedal it to keep it alive sometimes she would smooth out and idle but mostly she would die as soon as I let off the gas.
Now I got nothing

I don’t know how to check if the coil is getting power.
the plugs have no spark
I’ve pulled the wire from coil to dist cap and got no spark out of the dist cap side.
Where do I go from here
And please if u think of anything I missed or don’t know please express yourself opinion.

I got the truck for a steal butif it’s just gunna sit in driveway then I paid to much

thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Power to coil comes from the ASD relay it also powers the fuel pump. If the pump is working maybe the coil is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pump is working replaced coil. Still no spark. But I’m only getting 7.4 volts to the connector where it says I should be getting 8-9. Would that cause a no spark and does that mean I have a exposed wire or something?
Power to coil comes from the ASD relay it also powers the fuel pump. If the pump is working maybe the coil is bad.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
But I’m only getting 7.4 volts to the connector
The connector at the coil? If so what are you getting at the battery terminals when cranking? ASD relay gives 12+ volts(battery power) to the coil injectors and 02's. The negative side is what fires the coil and it's controlled by the PCM. Is the battery new/used? Are you getting any codes"check engine light"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the dist pick up connector with multimeter on the bat +
Terminal 1/org =3.60
Term 2=12.60
Term 3 =7.38

the tps from right to left is

battery is at 12.60 and at 10.94 when cranking

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Are you able to get any codes using the ignition switch method? On-Off-On-Off-On and count the check engine light blinking? Even if all is well, you should get a 55, meaning end of line.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
For example, for each code, say 55, the light will blink 5 times, pause, then 5 times. Point being, if you don't at least get THAT code, the memory is toast, and the ECM is dead.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
At the dist pick up connector with multimeter on the bat +
Terminal 1/org =3.60
Term 2=12.60
Term 3 =7.38

the tps from right to left is

battery is at 12.60 and at 10.94 when cranking
You will get different readings(output wire) depending on the position of both. What voltage are you getting at the coil + terminal when cranking?
Are you able to get any codes using the ignition switch method?
This is the second time this has been asked! If you have codes post them!!! Even if you don't have any it will show a 55 meaning the pcm should be in working condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts