DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a ghost in her headlight system in her ’94 Dodge Ram 1500 pick up. She has replaced the wiring harness and dimmer switch. She suspects the problem is in her steering column but really does not know where to go at this point.

I have read back to 2015 here and found a couple of things for her to check out, especially the wires ground to the frame rail, but I have not yet found her specific problem. I will continue reading and keep an eye on this thread.

Someone suggested that it was the alternator, but neither one of us have had an alternator act like that. We think the alternator would affect the whole electrical system but we are definitely not mechanics.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Clippedwings. My friend lost her job because of this problem. I joined this forum for real help. I read all the rules and FAQ and spent two hours reading posts back to 2015 so I did not post a repeat question. I thought people were here to help each other. I am very disappointed.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That's a newb that thinks he has a sense of humor. I had the same issue with my 97, changed the headlight switch and it started going all local on me, turned out the new switch was bad so had to exchange it. It was all good for a couple months then started doing it again and I could never figure it out, replaced the switch again and it continued so I suspected that one bad switch did some damage somewhere in the system? Id be driving down the street at night on the dark back roads and they will start flashing high/low, one side then the other.... it was possessed as far as I was concerned. Never found the issue and ended up trading it. Out of curiosity, How did your friend lose her job over a headlight ghost?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you very much Sonocativo. We live in a thinly populated rural area. I actually live 40 miles from her, and she couldn't drive home from work at night with no headlights. There's no public transportation where we live.

I was excited that I had received an answer when I woke up and found an email that said I had a reply. Then I read clipped's reply...why even bother.

Someone actually found and sent me a diagram for this model's headlight system just now:

https://imgur.com/a/NshkXdo

I hope it's OK to post that link, and after I post this reply, I will check to make sure the link works.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Good luck finding what it is, I never found mine, just ended up selling the truck, they worked but would flash occasionally, mind of their own. Hopefully it will iron out for you.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
ahhhh, that's sweet, thank you. Did you get a look at the diagram in my previous post?
Yes, I myself always buy a repair manual from the auto store ( Chilton or Hayes ) its nice to know everything about the vehicle for doing any and all repairs for the most part. The major stuff I leave to the shops who have the right tools unless I have the tools. ( now its just a matter of having a garage...lol ) check al your terminal contacts for corrosion ( they make a contact cleaner that you can buy at the auto parts stores ) also check your headlight relays as they could be bad causing the on/off flashing crap as well. pull the cover off the steering column and look for worn, frayed, shorted wires in the harness from the tilt wheel options going to the high/low stick ( where theres movement theres usually troubles ) just trying to help a bit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, she did say that she needed to pull the steering column, but that she would be lost if she did. I have talked to her and she is diligently checking every wire for corrosion that she can find. I do know that she put it up on blocks yesterday. I will keep you informed of the progress. You are so kind to keep up with our progress. Thank you! You are our cheerleader!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well, she did say that she needed to pull the steering column, but that she would be lost if she did. I have talked to her and she is diligently checking every wire for corrosion that she can find. I do know that she put it up on blocks yesterday. I will keep you informed of the progress. You are so kind to keep up with our progress. Thank you! You are our cheerleader!
Eh, I just had enough experience with owning them with some of the same problems some have and try to give back to the forum as they have been a great bunch here and still are. This is my 3rd Ram 2004 I have owned a 97 that I restored, a lifted 99 and now this 04 with a stuttering glitch lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will talk to her tomorrow, she had to take her neighbor to the doc today, and she's a dogged Kiowa as in she will not give up until she finds out where that electrical ghost is hiding. I actually want a Ram truck now that I see how great the Ram community is. Will update you when I hear from that Indian girl.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Problem could be the headlight switch/connector. There was a recall for the 3500's and it also should have included the 2500's because i has the same issue with mine(2500). It doesn't happen to much with the 1500 but it can. The headlight switch terminals heat up and cause a bad connection. Someone should remove the headlight switch and have a good look at it and the connector for any issues. The recall is posted below and you can see what happens. Also it could be the multifunction switch (left of the steering wheel). Also check grounds and that the headlight's have good power going to them(corrosion or bad connectivity).

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/819.htm

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Problem could be the headlight switch/connector. There was a recall for the 3500's and it also should have included the 2500's because i has the same issue with mine(2500). It doesn't happen to much with the 1500 but it can. The headlight switch terminals heat up and cause a bad connection. Someone should remove the headlight switch and have a good look at it and the connector for any issues. The recall is posted below and you can see what happens. Also it could be the multifunction switch (left of the steering wheel). Also check grounds and that the headlight's have good power going to them(corrosion or bad connectivity).

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/819.htm
yep, when I was checking out mine at the time, the headlight switch and connector got super hot...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You are our cheerleader Sonocativo! Girlfriend has made some headway! Thanks to you:

Girl found the fuse box under the hood right beside by the battery on driver’s side.

She opened fuse box.

Inside the fuse box was a clear white square box the size of a matchbox.

She was told that this box is called a relay, and on the clear white relay box, it says 120 v.

The whole clear white square relay box jiggled.

She pushed that box back in place.

Ran truck for 20 minutes with the headlights on, and they stayed on.

Needs to put gas in the truck to continue troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
You are our cheerleader Sonocativo! Girlfriend has made some headway! Thanks to you:

Girl found the fuse box under the hood right beside by the battery on driver’s side.

She opened fuse box.

Inside the fuse box was a clear white square box the size of a matchbox.

She was told that this box is called a relay, and on the clear white relay box, it says 120 v.

The whole clear white square relay box jiggled.

She pushed that box back in place.

Ran truck for 20 minutes with the headlights on, and they stayed on.

Needs to put gas in the truck to continue troubleshooting.
Not sure about the 120v clear white relay? Mine was black but they can be used in various applications. Normally the headlight, horn and fuel pump relays are basically the same in size, shape..ect… where most just swap one with the other to see if that's the issue. Being loose and not plugged all the way in can be an issue where the connections aren't made, hopefully that fixed the problem with the headlights, glad to be of help.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That's actually the fuse for the alternator, It's 120 amp not volts. If you look on the under side of the cover it will tell you what everything is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thank you, Moparite, why does it say 120 v if it is amps? I will relay this new info immediately. Ok, just talked to her, and she said that it does say amps on the cover.

Thank you, Sonactivo, we think it worked. If she can't afford any gas by now, I'll get her some money to continue on with this.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thank you, Moparite, why does it say 120 v if it is amps? I will relay this new info immediately. Ok, just talked to her, and she said that it does say amps on the cover.

Thank you, Sonactivo, we think it worked. If she can't afford any gas by now, I'll get her some money to continue on with this.
Just curious, where are y'all located?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts