DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 1995 dodge ram 1500 about a month ago. I car had some serious rust before hand I guess and the last owner replaced both of the doors on the cab. The new doors have power windows and locks, but they are not wired up at all. I took a look at the wiring and there is wiring harness for the doors, but not harness coming from the car itself. Just two wires on each side that arn't hooked up to any thing. My guess is that this car was originally a manual window and locks. My question is how hard would it be to be able to get these windows functional? Right now it is really frustrating b/c I cannot rolling my windows down at all! :smiledown: Someone please help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello,

I actually just installed aftermarket electric windows, so I will tell you how they are set up, and maybe it will help you figure out your wiring harness.

I actually have one problem myself, which I will post at the end.

On the aftermarket kit: On the driver side door, running under the drivers dash is the master power input and ground. The power will most likely be a red wire and possibly slightly larger wire. The ground will be black. The passenger side has 3 color wires running to the drivers side. So if you see a harness with 3 wires, it most likely goes to the passenger side.

Not too much info, but maybe it can help.

My issue is that I can't find a power source strong enough to run my motors. If I ran my own power cable straight from the battery source, it worked great (except that they never turned off, which I could live with but the switches are lit). I've tapped into several sources that have power either when only on, or running. The ones tapped into the "only running" wires work, but very weak, and the others work for a second and then stop due to lack of power.

I'd like to run my own wire hooked up to a dedicated source when the care is either running, or switched on, but do not know how.

Good luck, and if anyone can help with my issue, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't an aftermarket kit for power windows, this is just doors off of another Ram that had power windows. So I have a wiring harness from both doors but the issue is I have no wires but the two on each side coming from the car. So I am not even sure where to begin with the wiring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I understand you have factory wire harness. I was describing the aftermarket to give you an idea of how the wires will eventually be run, as it will most likely be very similar. there are only so many wires you need for the two switches on your driver side, and so many for the passenger side.

3 of the wires will need to go to the passenger side, one will be ground and one will be power input. How many connections are there to connect from the wiring harness that need to be connected? You are most likely going to need to create a custom wiring harness and run the wires. You can buy a wiring connections to make your own harness at radio shack if you can't find one that will plug into the one in the doors.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Taking into consideration what nicraage said about the harness...

I'm pretty sure the factory switches use a common ground and have a split power supply to each door switch (which may be split in the factory rocker switch) . Power for up (the rocker switch) and power for down to reverse the motor.

Then you would have to take into consideration the wiring for operation to the passenger's side to the driver's side so the driver can operate the passenger's window.

So I'd assume the three wires going to the pass side provide for that.

That would lead me to believe the driver's door needs a power supply for pos and neg. And since the passenger's side provides for three wires it would need a pos and a neg, and a traveler pos to the driver's side.

But something about that doesn't seem right unless the power is split in the factory switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts