DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 96 ram last summer. It has 544000kms on it, runs great and it delivers great fuel mileage.
The problem is it leaks engine oil and I can't seem to find exactly where it starts, but it ends up in a puddle in my driveway, and after a good highway drive the tailgate usually has oil freckles on it which I thought might be from the road draft tube.
I've washed the engine down and looked for leaks, checked fasteners and the oil level is usually at the full line on the dipstick, Johnny.
Is there any specific part of the engine (timing cover, oil pan etc) that periodically requires new gaskets or should just I live with it and park it on the front lawn?
Thanks for reading.:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would look at the Vacuum pump I have had to replace that sea.l The oil was running down the drivers side front if you look up from the bottom of the truck you will see oil all over the shaft between the vacuum pump & power steering pump you can get the seal kit from Genos Garage.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Has the Killer Dowel Pin ever been tabbed? You might have a cracked front timing gear case, being you said a puddle of oil. Also, look at the bottom of the timing gear case cover. The front crank seal could leaking. Pretty easy to change. Just be careful installing the new seal so you don't tear it. Once you find the area of the leak, clean the area thoroughly. Then spray the area with powdered spray deodorant. You will easily be able to spot the source of the leak. -Glen

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Our co. Trucks leak from front cover, also at that amount of km. Check blow by tube for oil. Now I will say we drive 24,000 lb straght trucks with the 24 valve ISB Cummings 5.9. So leaking is par for the course. But great motor. Also at that milage watch oil pump something about pickup tube cracking? But remember I've run the snot out of my truck. And I have right now 549,200 km. So at least I can tell you one thing. Even with a leak and some care and like my truck can pull 30,000 load every day and keep chugging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts