DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 96 ram 2500 4x4 about one month ago. The truck had 107k on it when I purchased it and is now approaching 110k. I have mainly babied the truck as far as romping on the gas paddle goes since I have possessed it. The other day I was running late to a job and I passed a couple cars and really got on it for the first time. The truck seemed to do fine while passing and what not. The problem is when I got to a stop sign about ten miles or so after the heavy acceleration I had what seemed like tranny problems when taking off from a stop. The truck didn't want to shift out of first gear. It wound out first for a really long time and when it finally did shift it caught second so hard that it felt like someone rear ended me. It then proceeded to wind out second way to long and also shifted into third very hard. At the next stop sign about 100 yards after the last it wound out first and second way to long again and shifted hard again also. After that I shifted it manually from the column and it shifted correctly. I pulled off at a gas station about 10 minutes after the onset of shifting problems,checked the trans with motor running. Fluid smelled burnt but was full. I shut off the truck let it set for a couple minutes. When I drove away, put it in drive and it shifted fine. Haven't had the same problem since but also haven't romped on the gas since either. Although the trans does seem to shift a little untimely since and just doesn't seem right. This is my first dodge truck and I realize that she requires a special mopar trans fluid. Im not sure that she was serviced with the correct fluid before I obtained ownership. Any ideas, suggestions? I plan on changing the filter and fluid tomorrow when I get paid.

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts
you need a transmission service & think about doing the rear end too
use synthetic oil

I hope that takes care of your Ram

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need a transmission service & think about doing the rear end too
use synthetic oil

I hope that takes care of your Ram
Thanks for the info! I will definitely do a service on the tranny and all gear boxes...Just to confirm...the trans fluid is to be checked with the engine running?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Need to check it running and in neutral ( make sure you chock the wheels)
trans fluid AFT+4 6.00 a quart i believe you need six but ask.
trans filter 10.00
gasket 3.00
with that many miles on it I would change the Gov pressure solenoid and gov sensor 150. for both ( they are located on valve body , you can see them when you drop the pan.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like the Poppa Bear said, I learned that the hard way and fried my overdrive by not checking it in neutral. Expensive lesson unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts