DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for all of the info I can get on my recent purchase. It is an Indy Special with a 1996 Gen 2 Viper V10 and a BW T56 6speed. I've done an Internet search and prior owners search (back to 2001 so far) finding it had the V10 in it then. It's VIN shows it is an Indy Special with a 360/auto. The 2 previous owners say it is a concept truck built in 1996 as a show/concept vehicle, but neither knew by who. The earliest owner I've found bought it in 2001 in Michigan, but he can't remember the first owners name, nor can I get any Michigan DMV info. The Motors ID number says it is a 1996 415 HP motor built a week prior to the trucks build date.
I'm having a hard time believing it was built by Chrysler as a concept truck only to end up here in Alaska in 2009. Yet, there are a few clues on the truck that seem to show otherwise. Such as, on the bottom side of the hood just behind the grill are 3 letters TVS. The T is larger than the other two letters. The frame has extensive modifications on it, some appear crude, the rest are well thought out and executed. Of note is the Rack and Pinion steering installed where and how it is. Another are the motor mounts. The wiring harness is nicely laid out and clean (except for its added alarm and stereo system). The rear end is a Dana 60 with disc brakes and 4.10 gear. Look over the pics I've posted with more to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Looking for all of the info I can get on my recent purchase. It is an Indy Special with a 1996 Gen 2 Viper V10 and a BW T56 6speed. I've done an Internet search and prior owners search (back to 2001 so far) finding it had the V10 in it then. It's VIN shows it is an Indy Special with a 360/auto. The 2 previous owners say it is a concept truck built in 1996 as a show/concept vehicle, but neither knew by who. The earliest owner I've found bought it in 2001 in Michigan, but he can't remember the first owners name, nor can I get any Michigan DMV info. The Motors ID number says it is a 1996 415 HP motor built a week prior to the trucks build date.
I'm having a hard time believing it was built by Chrysler as a concept truck only to end up here in Alaska in 2009. Yet, there are a few clues on the truck that seem to show otherwise. Such as, on the bottom side of the hood just behind the grill are 3 letters TVS. The T is larger than the other two letters. The frame has extensive modifications on it, some appear crude, the rest are well thought out and executed. Of note is the Rack and Pinion steering installed where and how it is. Another are the motor mounts. The wiring harness is nicely laid out and clean (except for its added alarm and stereo system). The rear end is a Dana 60 with disc brakes and 4.10 gear. Look over the pics I've posted with more to follow.
It is probably just a engine that came from a viper which was involved in an accident. As far as why some modifications look professional and others do not, possibly some custom shops or mechanics do better job than others, or one of the owners did some work on it himself and he may or may not be very meticulous. Who knows. I wouldn't worry about it. If I were you I would polish it up really nice, make everything look nice and keep it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure it isn't the concept vehicle Chrysler built, but, someone spent a lot of money building it! Reading Chryslers engineering challenges into installing the Viper V10, this truck closely matches. It was built in Michigan by an unknown builder. BTW, there are plenty of concept and one off vehicles that got away from the big 3.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The viper concept truck came along before the Indy Rams were released. If the VIN comes back as an Indy, there's no way it was the viper ram concept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seen that truck for sale on a used lot in Florida about five years ago. They tried to pass it off as a original drivetrain. Me and many other people informed them this was not the case. When they posted the truck for sale on eBay it was then listed as a Viper V10 swap from an 95 viper. The install looked nice when I looked at the truck. The only thing I was concerned about was the wiring. I hesitated on buying the truck and then went back two weeks later and it was gone. Nice to see it still out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wiring was a mess! I removed the entire engine bay harness bundle and the under dash harness and rebuilt them. I also removed the horribly installed A/C system, moved the coil packs and replaced the exhaust system that was a mess. I removed the ghetto console, repositioned the seats, replaced the carpet and headliner and repaired the door panels. I replaced all ball joints, brakes and lines and coil springs. It now runs and drives very well and sounds like a Viper should. Last stop is paint.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Got any pictures of the work you have done and how the truck sits now?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yea! Where are the pics? You only have one posted.

The viper concept truck came along before the Indy Rams were released. If the VIN comes back as an Indy, there's no way it was the viper ram concept.
Well that depends on how Chrysler did it. They may have just made it as one of the prototypes before they actually went into production. I would like to see the vin- info tag and sheet under the hood. Usually all the "special" Chrysler built vehicles have a way of telling. You could do vehicle search and trace it back to the original owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts