DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I am less than a week into ownership of my '97 Ram 1500. I have gone through and changed the oil, plugs, wires, etc. Before doing this, my truck would experience intermittant cold starts where it would not idle. It would start and just shut off. No dash lights nor codes to check.

I am thinking that may be solved with the wires as one of them were pretty rough. However, my mechanic buddy told me it may be the Catalytic Converter is plugged up.

Mine is likely original. Exhaust stuff is out of my league and I am wondering how often these need to be changed out? Is there any way to check it?

Any guidance on this one appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I owned a 1997 1500 and the converter blocked up on it had to replace it. If your truck runs fine and it has plenty of power going down the road then the converter isnt blocked. I couldnt make the truck go over 40 mph when mine was blocked. When I first would start the truck I would hear a rattle around where the converter was, this was the inside honeycomb that was loose inside the converter. Once the converter got hot, which wasnt long then it would stop. Finally the honeycomb broke off and then plugged the inlet of the converter itself.I went to midas muffler and they put a high flow converter on it and what a difference it made not only to the amount of power but also to the exhaust note...OMG...

Cost me around 400 bucks....

Like I said though, if your truck runs fine and has lots of power out on the open road, it isnt your converter.

BTW, I loved that 97'.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts