DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello just got my self a 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2 and my 4x4 isn't working:smiledown:.....the light for the 4x4 is on but the front tires are just not working feels like its not catching? im new to having trucks as I am 16 ! so if you explain make it a bit easy for me !
thanks for the feed back !

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you looked underneath the front of the truck to se if the front drive shaft is hooked up? If it is then it is most likely that the actuator on the front axle is sticking or is broken....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Once, on my 95, the vacuum lines got knocked-off the actuator on the axle by the snow. They can also rot and leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked underneath the front of the truck to se if the front drive shaft is hooked up? If it is then it is most likely that the actuator on the front axle is sticking or is broken....
I could look underneath the front of the truck but I don't know what I'm looking at can you send a picture of what I should be looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once, on my 95, the vacuum lines got knocked-off the actuator on the axle by the snow. They can also rot and leak.
I don't know what I'd be looking at if I looked underneath the truck can you send a picture or something of what I should be looking at? Or just Describe it to me?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Once I get a chance I'll take some pics and post them for you... I'm currently dealing with a snow storm so when I get some clear weather, they'll be there... sorry... (I'm so tired of the white stuff):sad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I get a chance I'll take some pics and post them for you... I'm currently dealing with a snow storm so when I get some clear weather, they'll be there... sorry... (I'm so tired of the white stuff):sad:
okay sounds good !:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is a picture of my Dana 60, not a Dana 44, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Also, does your climate control (a/c, heat) vents work, or is it stuck on windshield defrost?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The vacuum lines that the persusder pointed out are usually easily broke but being that your 4x4 light is on I doubt that your lines are broke... where he has pointed out where your actuator is there is a wire right the that is the 4x4 light switch is. Also in that area is where you'll find the front drive shaft connects to. If you vacuum line is un hooked or broke your 4x4 light would not come on (at least when mine broke it didn't) He was also talking about your heater controls not workung right and if you are standing in front of your truck, on the passenger side by your engine oil dipstick there is a vaccum line that goes down by it beside the intake manifold. There will be a tee with a black plastic line going to it from the firewall. Coming off the tee there will be a white plastic line coming from it that goes down to the top of your transfer case. If you follow the front drive shaft back from the front you will se that it connects to the transfer case. Where that white line connects to is an actuator switch with a square rubber plug with for plastic line coming out from it. (Blue, green, white and red) the blue and red, those vaccum lines going to the actuator on the front axle. The ones in the pic... The white is the supply and the green one comes up beside the trans and comes up out on the drivers side by the brake booster reservoir next to the intake and has a check valve ont the end of it. If any of those are crack or broken your cruse control wont keep speed and your heater when you excellerate will change to defrost or to vent... but as soon as you let off the pedal say if you has it set to heat, it would go back. I would check those lines and look at the front drive shaft and go from there... Sorry for the book...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heat and ac works fine and the actuator and vacuum is connected properly!!! And green 01 can u send a picture of what your looking at like i know you are trying to make sense for me but i looked at it and i just dont understand it like i cant find what your talking about :S im sorry but like i said could ya send a picture of where it is and stuff??

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry bub... been working 12 hr shifts on nights... work out on the river in a harbor and I promise I'll send you some pics. I have the next 5 days off and I'll get you some in detail...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry bout not having you pics yet... had some setbacks with my other vehicle (Ford) I plan on getting the pics today for you while I'm checking some O2 wires for the heaters on my Ram and while I'm down there I'll snap the pics. Sorry again...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Now I can't get them to upload :-\

1 - 19 of 19 Posts